Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is there a good explanation of vpn options?

bzness
Aspirant

Is there a good explanation of vpn options?

I am working my way through setiing up a VPN tunnel, and I am a bit stymied by the whole process. Is there a good explanation somewhere how this all works on my netgear router? Let's take for example L2TP. When I try to set that up, there are IKE policies, VPN policies, User setups, there is a VPN Wizard, etc. Nowhere can I find an explanation what I need or what is necessary or where the pitfalls are. For example, I have to select FQDN but then have to enter 0.0.0.0? That doesn't make sense. How does this all fit together? What are the dependencies?

For example, I have set up an L2TP user. So, if I connect with the right credentials, what is next? VPN pilicies? IKE policies? When I look at the VPN policies, I see that I can select an "Auto Policy", but then at the bottom I can (have to?) selct an IKE policy. What's more, I can select various parameters that seem to duplicate in the VPN policy and the IKE policy.

I admit that it is probably my lack of understanding that gets me in trouble, and that is why I am asking if there is a good explanation of all these different options and how they all intract to get to a stable and efficient VPN connection.

Appreciate any help.

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi bzness,

Kindly access the link below and read the articles listed on the page:

Index of VPN documentation

Also, further information can be found on pages 201-299 of the SRX5308 reference manual here about Virtual Private Networking Using IPSec & L2TP Connections and Virtual Private Networking Using SSL Connections. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@bzness,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further questions. 

Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements