Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issues replacing an FVX538 with an SRX5308

rbart
Aspirant

Issues replacing an FVX538 with an SRX5308

I am having a situation that is rather confusing and wondered if anyone else has seen this, or can offer a solution. The end game goal here is to replace and FVX538 with an SRX5308

Our environment is one where our hub is an FVX538 with some 22 VPN tunnels consisting of FVS338 devices and two FVS336G V2 (3.0.7.24) device. Everything is functioning as one would expect. When we power cycle the FVX538, all VPN tunnels are re- connected in good time with strong ping responses from all, including both the FVS336G. On these devices we ran a ping set of 75 with 0 percent loss.

When we swap out the FVX538 device for the SRX5308 (3.0.7.51), things become strange. When this device becomes operational all FVS338 sites come up fast and strong. One of FVS336G sites also comes up with good ping responses (0 % loss).

The second FVS336G site comes up for a short period (less than 2 minutes) and then begins to experience a 30% to 40% packet loss. Letting it “sit there” for an hour does not change performance. We have re-created the connection on both sides with no change.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I would rather solve this and not have to call technical support.
Regards
Message 1 of 11
adit
Mentor

Re: Issues replacing an FVX538 with an SRX5308

Call Tech Support and get the latest beta. Where did you get 3.0.7-51? Did you default the router after you upgraded it?
Message 2 of 11
rbart
Aspirant

I will give them a call...

The .051 came from TechSupport a week or so ago. Took 5 days to convience them the the first 5308 was a DOA..
Message 3 of 11
adit
Mentor

Did you default the router after you upgraded it? If you didn't, do it. Then manually reconfigure it. I know it's painful, but it has to be done. Otherwise you are just reloading the issues. Ask for 3.0.7-61.
Message 4 of 11
rbart
Aspirant

Sorry - missed that last question.

Both devices were 'out of the box' and were configured by hand. The 336 we did reset to factory default (the button) and re-did it by hand, no backup and restore.

I just did a 'little test' before I let work and it was interesting. On the SRX5308 I disabled all of the VPN's (23 actually) before I took down the 538 and then placed to 5308 on line.

Waited until we had good DNS and other services and then, starting with the problem site first (FVS336) and then brought each tunnel up seperatly. Waited until we had steady pings across the tunnel before moving along to the next one.

When we brought up the 11th site, the connection went south with numerous dropped packets. Disconnected Site 11 and 10 and restarted the Problem Child, but it never came back up without a lot of loss.

Will try same thing later, but a different rotation of who comes up first. All 11, before we backed down, were running smoothly.

This will indeed get real ugly I am afraid.
Message 5 of 11
adit
Mentor

Read my firmware upgrade procedure. It applies to new, unconfigured routers. If you didn't follow it you are likely to have problems.
Message 6 of 11
rbart
Aspirant

On both devices, we did go to Factory Defaults and did the firmware upgrade. And both devices were manually configured - no restore of a backup.

Yes it is a pain, but do it a few dozen times and you get real good at it...
Message 7 of 11
adit
Mentor

The factory default comes AFTER the firmware upgrade.
Message 8 of 11
rbart
Aspirant

Ok... Will keep that in mind if we take that path again.

Thanks
Message 9 of 11
rbart
Aspirant

A little update here...

Called Netgear Support (Level 1) which is "free" with new devices. After I explained the topology and problem, his findings were "this is too complicated for the 90 day support" and transfered me back to the 'reception' area.

There I was informed that I had to purchase a $130 support contract to speak to level 2 support. NICE !!!

I forked over the $130 and after 6 hours with him, the ending comments were "this should not be happening".

Call continues in AM.

If there is ever a solution, I will add it here.
Message 10 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

call up in the morning are better to catch better support.

also use portal instead. my.netgear.com

sometime they may able to do better. I know my RMA was so speedy ...
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements