Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lan IP used as gateway for another switch or router (recomendation needed)

BSS001
Follower

Lan IP used as gateway for another switch or router (recomendation needed)

Hello everyone,

Sorry if this seems not normal but here is what I am trying to do and looking for a pc of equipment to work with.

I currently have a DSL modem from my local landline service hooked up to a FVS318G with a JGS524 and WG302.

The problem is my landline service can only give me a maximum of 1.57MBpS down and 0.41MBpS up (yes they are the correct numbers) Better known as super slow.  (Not way to get any faster by land)

So after much research I finally ordered and got in a vervizon LTE unit which is giving me 27.47 mbps down and 1.09 mbps up, though the up is only slightly double, the down is over 17 times faster, and the up is better off peek hours.  (So a lot better than my current landline)

So when I order in the verizon unit which is a Novatel T1114, i was told after asking many times that I will be able to use the device as a modem and just set the current FSV318G to ask for the IP & DNS automatically.

Well that is not the case or I would not be asking for help here. 

Before you ask, the Novatel unit only does up to 10 wireless devices and 3 wired devices and though we are a household of only 2, I have over 36 devices on my current network, so reprogramming everything on to the novatel is N/G because not enough room.  And for the record I don't play any games online nor do I use any tvservice like netflix and dont want to.  I do stream down and up youtube from time to time, but 98% of what I use the service for is email, website design and software updates. 

So I am looking for a way to either program the FVS318G to work or purchase a new unit that will allow me to use 1, 2 or all 3 of the lan ports on the NOVATEL T1114 as the gateway for my existing network to get internet access.

I know enough to get myself in trouble, but I dont work with these devices daily.

Does anyone have an equipment suggestion and or suggested programming information they can provide.

I thank you for your time on this question

Regards - Tom

Message 1 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Lan IP used as gateway for another switch or router (recomendation needed)

Hi @BSS001,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Is the Novatel T1114 a combination of modem and router?  If yes, then you could set the FVS318G as an unmanaged switch to extend your local network

Here are the steps below to set the FVS318G as an unmanaged switch:

1. Login to the web-GUI of your FVS318G.  Open a browser like Chrome or Firefox then type the LAN IP Address of the FVS318G in the address field, then press Enter.  Type 'admin' for the user name and 'password' for the password, both in lower case letters without the quotation marks.

Note: The default LAN IP Address of the FVS318G is 192.168.1.1.

2. On the web-GUI, go to Network Configuration > LAN Settings > LAN Setup.

3. On the IP Address field, enter the IP Address that you want to set for your FVS318G that is within the LAN IP range of your existing network. 

4. Select 'Disable DHCP Server.'

5. Click Apply. 

6. Connect the Novatel T1114  to one of the 8 LAN ports at the rear part of the FVS318G.  Do not connect anything to the WAN port of the FVS318G because it will not be use.

7. Connect your other devices to other LAN ports of the FVS318G.  The FVS318G is now acting as an unmanaged switch which extends your local area network. 

If ever you still want to use the FVS318G as the main router, you will need to configure the Novatel T1114 to full bridge mode making it a modem-only device.  Then, connect the Novatel T1114 to the WAN port of the FVS318G.  Configure the FVS318G for internet access.  The Public WAN IP Address will be registered to the FVS318G making it the main router. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Lan IP used as gateway for another switch or router (recomendation needed)

@BSS001,

I just want to follow-up on this.  We’d greatly appreciate your feedback.

Otherwise, if ever your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements