Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MacOS VPN client setup for tunnel with FVS336G

macounwr
Tutor

MacOS VPN client setup for tunnel with FVS336G

I have posted previously about difficulty making lan-to-lan IPSec VPN tunnel with Dlink DSR-250, but I have now abandoned that, and am focused strictly on a MacOS VPN client connection (full tunnel, not split). I would like recommendations for IPSec settings on FVS336G, and corresponding configuration of MacOS built-in (Cisco) VPN client.

Model: FVS336G|PROSAFE DUAL WAN GIGABIT FIREWALL WITH SSL & IPSEC VPN
Message 1 of 4
macounwr
Tutor

Re: MacOS VPN client setup for tunnel with FVS336G

I may be lurching toward my own solution. I seem to be getting close using the IPSecuritas IPSec VPN client, in that I am able to enter all of the parameters I expect, and connect, but sadly, no joy.

So I've gone back to trying to make SSL client work, and again, I get all the way to connecting and getting to "Click on the icon to Install & Launch VPN Tunnel client", but when I do, I get a new browser window, but nothing happens. The URL of the new blank window is //192.168.13.1/scgi-bin/users_portal/clientlinux?openvirtualpassage=install.

I am on a mac, should the module provided be for linux? Is there someplace on the FVS336G I can load a mac module, to be supplied to mac users?

Message 2 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @macounwr,

I may be lurching toward my own solution. I seem to be getting close using the IPSecuritas IPSec VPN client, in that I am able to enter all of the parameters I expect, and connect, but sadly, no joy.

Let me share the following articles below and it might help:

Mac OS X VPN Client install with ProSAFE VPN Firewall/Router

IP Securitas Os X – Netgear FVS336G VPN Settings

So I've gone back to trying to make SSL client work, and again, I get all the way to connecting and getting to "Click on the icon to Install & Launch VPN Tunnel client", but when I do, I get a new browser window, but nothing happens. The URL of the new blank window is //192.168.13.1/scgi-bin/users_portal/clientlinux?openvirtualpassage=install.

Let me share an old article below and use it as reference guide.  The article below indicates using an old MAC OS which is the Snow Leopard and an old NETGEAR device which is the UTM.  Hope it helps.

How to Configure Your Snow Leopard Mac for SSL VPN with the UTM

SSL VPN Manual Setup

I am on a mac, should the module provided be for linux? Is there someplace on the FVS336G I can load a mac module, to be supplied to mac users?

I am not familiar if there is such module that is available for linux.  Also, there is no option in the settings of the FVS336G to load a MAC module.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 4
macounwr
Tutor

Thanks for the belated response.

Happily, I no longer need to make a VPN connection to my FVS336G. I have been able to install a VPN Server on a Synology LAS and I have been able to make an OpenVPN connection to it from the mac, so my struggle to connect is over. Just had to forward whatever port VPN uses (1154?) to get through the router, and used a (free) Mac OpenVPN client on the mac and my problems were history. 

Goodbye Netgear, goodbye IPSec, hello OpenVPN.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements