Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Multiple Public IPs on BR500

StresssedOldMan
Aspirant

Multiple Public IPs on BR500

Simple question... does the BR500 support multiple public IP addresses and can these be individually NAT’d or routed to internal VLANs or different hosts in the DMZ?

Thanks. Thinking of buying but the answer doesn’t seem to be in the manual I browsed
Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StresssedOldMan
Aspirant

The reason I posted this question in the first place was because my ASA 5506-X died a horrible death and I needed a fast replacement. I cobbled something together to get back on the air temporarily. I already had an insight switch and AP so I was hoping the VPN router could replace the ASA (knowing full well it would never be an Enterprise grade replacement). Disappointing to hear it's not even really business grade.

FYI, I ended up replacing all of the netgear kit will Ubiqiti kit (USG Pro 4, 16 port PoE switch and APs). Whilst the UB kit is arguably not quite Enterprise grade, it's damn close (for features) and in terms of value for money it kills everything else (IMHO). Sorry Netgear but you're now dead to me.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi StresssedOldMan,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

Unfortunately, having multiple WAN IPs is not supported for now on the BR500. But this is a really good idea to have on our VPN router. It would be best if you will create a post on our Ideas Exchange for Business board so that our engineering team may consider it on our future firmware release.

Thank you!

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@JohnC_V wrote:

Unfortunately, having multiple WAN IPs is not supported for now on the BR500. But this is a really good idea to have on our VPN router.

Have requested the very same even before the BR500 became commonly available in the markets, just based on the available documentation back then, including the ability to define various NAT rules (one or multiple subnet many2one NAT to a defined address, port forwarding into different subnets, ... one of the reason we are unable to sell and deploy the BR500 since day one. Netgear does not care. The BR500 is just a boosted up consumer router (hardware platform [can't be really rack mounted!], and firmware wise), overmarketed for VPN (whereas the Insight VPN is simply unreliable as pr far to many community complaints and reports). Ways off from being a SOHO or SMB router. Netgear does not care at all: This is a show stopper for Insight and Insight Pro projects, too. @YeZ 

Message 3 of 5
StresssedOldMan
Aspirant

The reason I posted this question in the first place was because my ASA 5506-X died a horrible death and I needed a fast replacement. I cobbled something together to get back on the air temporarily. I already had an insight switch and AP so I was hoping the VPN router could replace the ASA (knowing full well it would never be an Enterprise grade replacement). Disappointing to hear it's not even really business grade.

FYI, I ended up replacing all of the netgear kit will Ubiqiti kit (USG Pro 4, 16 port PoE switch and APs). Whilst the UB kit is arguably not quite Enterprise grade, it's damn close (for features) and in terms of value for money it kills everything else (IMHO). Sorry Netgear but you're now dead to me.

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

So we're facing another Insight opportunity which went belly up because of the sub-par BR500 specs. @YeZ 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements