Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need instructions to update FVS318Gv2 firmware beyond 4.3.3.6

k383
Tutor

Need instructions to update FVS318Gv2 firmware beyond 4.3.3.6

Hi. I'm looking for clear ("for laymen") instructions to upgrade my FVS318Gv2 firmware past the v4.3.3-6 update which blocks subsequent upgrades through the GUI. A firewall without bug fixes is like a door without lock - pointless.

For those who don't know, the v4.3.3-6 update of the FVS318Gv2 had apparently a bug which somehow disabled further firmware upgrading through the GUI: Once this firmware installed, the firewall errors out after a couple seconds on any subsequent upgrade attempt. Meaning that we need to somehow force-feed the next version (4.3.3.8 or later) into the firewall so upgrades resume working. How can we do this?

It's a problem Netgear created, and I expect Netgear to help us solve it. So, what are my options? I definitely don't have the time to go through the "have you tried to switch it off and back on again" routine with some helpdesk drone in Pakistan, and apparently that's the only support option offered. For $50, too... Is there another support option I missed? E-mail would be great.

What other means are there to fix this problem?

Yes, I did find a thread mentioning using telnet and TFTP servers, but I also read there is a danger of bricking my firewall, and that Netgear doesn't condone accessing the firewall using telnet. So, besides the technical difficulty, it's also dangerous...

Can somebody please tell me how high are the chances of bricking our firewall, and if it happens, what would be my options (besides rushing out to buy a new one - of a different brand)?

Anyway, I would need more explicit instructions please. Specifically, where do I find a "TFTP server" software (which won't wreck my business computers!)? I can manage a telnet session, but that's about all.

Thanks for your time.

Model: FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
gearneterb
Aspirant

Dane,

Never mind.  I figured out how to do the telnet/TFTP solution myself, and IT ACTUALLY WORKED!

So, in order to help other users solve the "GUI firmware updates disabled by v4.3.3-6" problem, here is my solution in all it's gory detail (Windows 7-only, sorry; maybe someone else can post the MacOS version):

Use at your own risk; this is only a tale of what worked for me.  Since my network configuration is likely different from yours, you'll have to reinterpret this information for your own setup.  Good luck.  I already had all other ports besides mine disconnected at the router from trying the TFTP solution that did not work; I do not know if this factor is important to my success. I did not have the WAN port disconnected.

First, if you haven't already done so, enable the Telnet Client on your PC:

1. Click Start > Control PanelPrograms and Features.
  2. Click Turn Windows features on or off.
  3. In the Windows Features dialog box, check the Telnet Client check box.
  4. Click OK. The system enables the Telnet Client. This may take a minute or two.

Next, go to solarwinds.com free TFTP server

1. Click on Download Free Tool.
  2. You'll have to register, but will then be guided to download the tool.  Or, you might just be able to get it here.
  3. Unzip and install the tool, then fire it up.
  4. Feel free to open the Help page from the tool menu and/or check out their Free Tools Forum here.

Now, copy the downloaded Netgear firmware image file (e.g. FVS318Gv2_v4.3.4-2.img) to the TFTP server root folder (C:\TFTP-Root is the default).

Open a Windows Command window (Type cmd in the Start>Search window and click the cmd icon).

[Note: in the text below, System prompts and responses are in CourierNew, your inputs are CourierNewBold, and my notes are Arial] 

C:\Users\<you>>telnet 192.168.1.1 (or whatever the IP address of your router is)

FVS318Gv2 login: admin (Your router admin username)

Password: (Type your router password—nothing will show up on the screen—then hit Enter)

Welcome to FVS318Gv2 Command Line Interface
FVS318Gv2> util firmware_upgrade FVS318Gv2_v4.3.4-2.img 192.168.1.<xx> (The IP address of your computer on the local network where the TFTP server is running)

FVS318Gv2_v4.3.4-2.i 100% |*******************************| 26324k --:--:-- ETA (this line progresses during the file upload)
chmod: /mnt/tmpfs/tr69Instance.map: No such file or directory
Start upgrade ...
/var/image/FVS318Gv2_v4.3.4-2.img length is 0x19b5000(26955776)
filename : ASL firmware
filelen : 0x19b4f00
filecrc : 0x445c81de
file version : 4.3.4-2
kernel offset : 0x100
kernel size : 0x7bfabb
fs offset : 0x8fff00
fs size : 0x10b5000
calculate crc is : 0x445c81de
crc check PASS
Writing File System to Flash ...
Done.
Writing Kernel to Flash ...
Done.
>Firmware Version Updated
mount: mounting /mnt/tmpfs/pfrm2.0 on /pfrm2.0 failed: No such file or directory
FVS318Gv2>

Connection to host lost. (This is when the router restarts after the update)

C:\Users\<you>>exit (This closes the cmd window)

Notice that you didn't have to restore your router to its factory default state before starting this procedure.  Nor did you lose any of your settings (password, firewall, etc.) in the process!!

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 15

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi k383,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I'm not sure if you have already came across with the article below and it might help:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP

If you are not confident in doing the procedure on your own, I suggest you to open an online case with NETGEAR Support for assistance.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 15
k383
Tutor

Thank you.

Yes, I did already see this link about uploading firmware, but that article states clearly "This article applies to: WNDR3700v2" and I have a FVS318Gv2: Two quite different appliances. Are you really sure the initialisation procedure is the same?

It's a businees appliance, we can't afford to brick it just for fun.

As for opening an online case with support, I already explored this possibility before posting here. The problem, as I said above, is that I don't want (nor have the time) to pay $50 to spend half a day debating with some Pakistani helpdesk drone who has no more clues than me. This is not a usual user case you read off a QA sheet, this is a somewhat special case which would need input from some Netgear technician knowing the inner workings of the FVS318Gv2.

If you know a way for me to contact some real support (somebody who knows what he's talking about) I'd be grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

Message 3 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi k383,

The article I have provided also applies to the FVS318Gv2.  If you are not confident to proceed with the steps on the article then you may also get assistance via the NETGEAR Chat Support.  Kindly register your FVS318Gv2 then get assistance via the NETGEAR Chat Support.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 15
k383
Tutor

Where does it state it also applies to the FVS318Gv2? Can't find the mention.

On the contrary, I read (here) a thread from a customer with the same problem, to whom you suggested the same page, and for whom this procedure did not work. Which tends to confirm me my in my impression that "for WNDR3700v2" really means "for WNDR3700v2" (an old, obsolete model, running older software). Oh well. I might try it anyway this weekend.

I'm not confident to proceed with a procedure I know almost nothing about. Oh yes, "I read about it in the Interwebs", great. I also read people claiming "win.com" is a dangerous virus which should be deleted ASAP (Note: This is not true: If you delete this file, your Windows is dead - it's a bad taste prank!).

To resume, I'd like to have clear instructions from somebody I can trust. It's a Netgear blunder, I would expect Netgear to do something about it, even if it's just posting a page of clear, step-by-step instructions on how to fix it.

Concerning chat support - Is this free, or does it also cost $50?

It happens the firewall is almost 9 months old, so we're past the 90 days "free support" period.

Message 5 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi k383,

It really does not state in the article word-by-word that it also applies to the FVS318Gv2.  However, the FVS318Gv2 is not just a VPN firewall but also a router.  I know that not all times that the article I've shared will work for everyone.  However, kindly try to follow the steps in the article and it might work for you.  🙂 

About the NETGEAR Chat Support, kindly click here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 15
k383
Tutor

Yes, I'll try it, as I said. But I need to find some free time and the possibility to cut internet access for everyone and everything for a short (I hope!) period.

Thanks for the link about warranty conditions, but I already knew it. It will be replaced if broken (which technically it isn't), so that part doesn't help; As for the "online chat support", I'll try it tomorrow.

Message 7 of 15
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi k383,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 8 of 15
k383
Tutor

No, my problem is definitely not resolved.

This is also definitely the last Netgear appliance I'll buy or recommend buying. A shame since I've been using and recommending Netgear for over a decade, but lack of support for professional (even SOHO) material is unacceptable.

As by "lack of support", I'm not talking about DaneA, who I guess did what little he could. I'm talking about Netgear as a company, who, knowing there is a problem they created, couldn't be bothered to devise a solution, even if it's just a page of instructions. But I guess that would mean to admit there is a problem to start with... Unprofessional and, as I said, unacceptable.

Message 9 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi k383,

I understand your sentiment and I apologize on behalf.  Hope you have taken advantage of the NETGEAR Chat Support for your FVS318Gv2 since its lifetime as per the link I have shared to you.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 15
gearneterb
Aspirant

Dane,

Having the same problem here, attempting to upgrade from v4.3.3-6 to v4.3.4-2.  The TFTP solution does not work.  I do not get a chat support option, only "Contact us by phone" with a case number.

Is there a solution that actually works to upgrade past the problematic v4.3.3-6?  While I see reference to a telnet/TFTP solution, I have not yet found the actual instructions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ed

Message 11 of 15
gearneterb
Aspirant

Dane,

Never mind.  I figured out how to do the telnet/TFTP solution myself, and IT ACTUALLY WORKED!

So, in order to help other users solve the "GUI firmware updates disabled by v4.3.3-6" problem, here is my solution in all it's gory detail (Windows 7-only, sorry; maybe someone else can post the MacOS version):

Use at your own risk; this is only a tale of what worked for me.  Since my network configuration is likely different from yours, you'll have to reinterpret this information for your own setup.  Good luck.  I already had all other ports besides mine disconnected at the router from trying the TFTP solution that did not work; I do not know if this factor is important to my success. I did not have the WAN port disconnected.

First, if you haven't already done so, enable the Telnet Client on your PC:

1. Click Start > Control PanelPrograms and Features.
  2. Click Turn Windows features on or off.
  3. In the Windows Features dialog box, check the Telnet Client check box.
  4. Click OK. The system enables the Telnet Client. This may take a minute or two.

Next, go to solarwinds.com free TFTP server

1. Click on Download Free Tool.
  2. You'll have to register, but will then be guided to download the tool.  Or, you might just be able to get it here.
  3. Unzip and install the tool, then fire it up.
  4. Feel free to open the Help page from the tool menu and/or check out their Free Tools Forum here.

Now, copy the downloaded Netgear firmware image file (e.g. FVS318Gv2_v4.3.4-2.img) to the TFTP server root folder (C:\TFTP-Root is the default).

Open a Windows Command window (Type cmd in the Start>Search window and click the cmd icon).

[Note: in the text below, System prompts and responses are in CourierNew, your inputs are CourierNewBold, and my notes are Arial] 

C:\Users\<you>>telnet 192.168.1.1 (or whatever the IP address of your router is)

FVS318Gv2 login: admin (Your router admin username)

Password: (Type your router password—nothing will show up on the screen—then hit Enter)

Welcome to FVS318Gv2 Command Line Interface
FVS318Gv2> util firmware_upgrade FVS318Gv2_v4.3.4-2.img 192.168.1.<xx> (The IP address of your computer on the local network where the TFTP server is running)

FVS318Gv2_v4.3.4-2.i 100% |*******************************| 26324k --:--:-- ETA (this line progresses during the file upload)
chmod: /mnt/tmpfs/tr69Instance.map: No such file or directory
Start upgrade ...
/var/image/FVS318Gv2_v4.3.4-2.img length is 0x19b5000(26955776)
filename : ASL firmware
filelen : 0x19b4f00
filecrc : 0x445c81de
file version : 4.3.4-2
kernel offset : 0x100
kernel size : 0x7bfabb
fs offset : 0x8fff00
fs size : 0x10b5000
calculate crc is : 0x445c81de
crc check PASS
Writing File System to Flash ...
Done.
Writing Kernel to Flash ...
Done.
>Firmware Version Updated
mount: mounting /mnt/tmpfs/pfrm2.0 on /pfrm2.0 failed: No such file or directory
FVS318Gv2>

Connection to host lost. (This is when the router restarts after the update)

C:\Users\<you>>exit (This closes the cmd window)

Notice that you didn't have to restore your router to its factory default state before starting this procedure.  Nor did you lose any of your settings (password, firewall, etc.) in the process!!

Message 12 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@gearneterb,

I've just read your post.  I'm glad that you were able to figure it out. 🙂  I appreciate that you shared the steps you did as this might help other community members. 

Since your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 15
okokok
Aspirant

Has anyone done this using the WIndows native TFTP server?

Netgear should offer a swap out program for thise not technically ablt to do this.

Message 14 of 15
gearneterb
Aspirant

okokok,

I only find a WIndows native TFTP Client (via Start > Control PanelPrograms and Features), not a Server. I interpret this as meaning that this function can only put or get files to or from a remote location e.g. the router. However, the router is a client and so it is the one that needs to get the firmware upgrade (via its util firmware_upgrade <filename> <source ip> command) from some server; it's not a server waiting to receive a file pushed by a remote client.

Additionally, according to Microsoft (emphasis mine😞

• The TFTP protocol does not support any authentication or encryption mechanism, and as such can introduce a security risk when present. Installing the TFTP client is not recommended for systems connected to the Internet.
  • The TFTP client is optional software, and marked as deprecated on Windows Vista and later versions of the Windows operating system. A TFTP server service is no longer provided by Microsoft for security reasons. 
Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements