Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear BR500 VPN accessing shared network resources

Repair-my-pc
Guide

Netgear BR500 VPN accessing shared network resources

This is one for Netgear Support, but please feel free to chime in.

I have had the above units for almost 12 months and my client and myself are now losing patience especially with the site to site VPN always failing and the VPN not doing the job its intended to do.

My client now has most of his staff working from home, however when they try to access \\servername\share it is not regonised, however if they do \\192.168.1.1\sharename for example they can reach the server.

This is not helping as this is an AD Domain and the users are having problems opening their files as they come up as read only (Microsoft Security feature) and not being able to access network printers or even change their passwords.

A proper VPN should allow for NAT and this does not, when does Netgear plan to implement this as I can see several discussion forums in regards to this and due to all the issues out there with this product is Netgear planning on giving any form of license extension or refund for the failure of its VPN Services.

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 1 of 2
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear BR500 VPN accessing shared network resources

@Repair-my-pc,

My client now has most of his staff working from home, however when they try to access \\servername\share it is not regonised, however if they do \\192.168.1.1\sharename for example they can reach the server.

I'm afraid to inform you that NetBIOS over the VPN is not supported.  You will have to use the IP Address in order to reach the server.  With regard to this, I suggest you to post your concern as feature request in the Idea Exchange for Business board here

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements