Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Firewall

Coop59
Aspirant

Netgear Firewall

Hello Everyone,

I am realitively new to the netgear community, I have always just bought unmanaged switches up to this point and been happy with them because I didn't know any better. I recently purchased a Netgear FVS336G and I have searched high and low for a tutorial or step by step to show me how to configure the firewall. Nothing of any substance has been found to this point.

I also bought 2 JGS524Ev2 - 24-Port switches, these things from what I can tell are outstanding. So I have figured out how to create VLANs (Great Tutorials for this) on all the devices and I am able to connect to the different ports and get an IP from the DHCP servers I set up on those VLANs via the router/firewall. 

If anyone could point me to good firewall tutorial for the FVS336G or this type of firewall it would be appreciated. And please don't send me a tutorial for a home router. This is a business class router.

Thanks again,

Michael

Model: FVS336G|PROSAFE DUAL WAN GIGABIT FIREWALL WITH SSL & IPSEC VPN
Message 1 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 2 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Michael,

Hope you have not paid a fortune for this FVS336G - these routers are EoL for a longer time already.

"Netgear will terminate the ProSAFE VPN Firewalls on September 1, 2017. The last software update for these products was provided in April 2017. NETGEAR Inc. will continue to honor valid warranty claims for all ProSAFE VPN Firewall devices purchased from an authorized reseller. To complete the full exit from the product line, NETGEAR Inc. will no longer provide ProSAFE VPN Firewall software support or subscription updates for any ProSAFE VPN Firewall devices after September 1, 2017."

Message 3 of 8
Coop59
Aspirant

I paid 50 dollars for it, and it seems to be very stable.

@schumaku wrote:

Michael,

Hope you have not paid a fortune for this FVS336G - these routers are EoL for a longer time already.

"Netgear will terminate the ProSAFE VPN Firewalls on September 1, 2017. The last software update for these products was provided in April 2017. NETGEAR Inc. will continue to honor valid warranty claims for all ProSAFE VPN Firewall devices purchased from an authorized reseller. To complete the full exit from the product line, NETGEAR Inc. will no longer provide ProSAFE VPN Firewall software support or subscription updates for any ProSAFE VPN Firewall devices after September 1, 2017."

Message 4 of 8
tetrawest
Apprentice

They are very good machines. Which version of the FVS336 are you using? There should be a little v at the end of he model with a number, like 2 or 3.

The FVS336 will certainly be better than nothing. You have the links to the manuals on setup and port configurations.

I ran first FVS336v2 then FVS336v3 for many years. The v3 does seem to have an issue with creating problems with my 8x8 VOIP phones. This did not exist with the v2. The big difference between v2 and v3 is the WAN throughput, which I think was 25Mbps on the v2.

I do wish that NETGEAR would give out the firmware so that third party groups could potentially support the devices.

Message 5 of 8
Coop59
Aspirant

@tetrawest wrote:

They are very good machines. Which version of the FVS336 are you using? There should be a little v at the end of he model with a number, like 2 or 3.

The FVS336 will certainly be better than nothing. You have the links to the manuals on setup and port configurations.

I ran first FVS336v2 then FVS336v3 for many years. The v3 does seem to have an issue with creating problems with my 8x8 VOIP phones. This did not exist with the v2. The big difference between v2 and v3 is the WAN throughput, which I think was 25Mbps on the v2.

I do wish that NETGEAR would give out the firmware so that third party groups could potentially support the devices.

"NETGEAR ProSafe™ Gigabit Dual WAN SSL VPN Firewall FVS336Gv2"

It appears to have the latestfirmware upgrade for this model as well 4.3.3-6.

I should probably buy me something newer however I am just now teaching myself this part of the industry. I figured legacy technology even though older was still good enough in some way. 

It appears to have everything I need I know it is EOL but it does have a lot of features.  

I just need to be able to configure some things in it to work for me. Like the VLANs and the Firewall is most important right now. but I can't find anything including (Tutorials).

What's sad is I am a Systems Engineer and I only understand the basics of networking.

Thanks for your response i appreciate it.

Message 6 of 8
tetrawest
Apprentice

On the v2, the spec sheet calls out that the WAN has a maximum throughput of 25 Mbps. You will not get higher internet speeds that 25 Mbps. v3 has a higher throughput, 350 Mbps. 

But the v3 seems, at least in my network, to have issues with VOIP phones. 

Model: FVS336Gv2|PROSAFE DUAL WAN GIGABIT FIREWALL WITH SSL & IPSEC VPN
Message 7 of 8
Coop59
Aspirant

@tetrawest wrote:

On the v2, the spec sheet calls out that the WAN has a maximum throughput of 25 Mbps. You will not get higher internet speeds that 25 Mbps. v3 has a higher throughput, 350 Mbps. 

But the v3 seems, at least in my network, to have issues with VOIP phones. 

I am more of the Engineer / Optimist lol So I will try and make things work. I don't have any VOIP Devices so that part shouldn't be a problem. I will start looking for v3 one.

Thanks for your input.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements