Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear ProSafe VPN Firewall SRXN3205 and port forwarding?

sinieq
Aspirant

Netgear ProSafe VPN Firewall SRXN3205 and port forwarding?

Hi, this is a long shot, but I'm pulling my hairs out at this point and might be a bit over my head as I'm new to networking 😞

Short story shorter, I have two servers running, one is the NAS box (ie if I connect through internet to the place via public IP network from home I get the The site says "My Shares" I insert login and pass and get access to them.
ie everything is peachy.
The problem is when I try to connect to my FileMaker server I cant see it and instead it takes me to the NAS login box. So I'm thinking ok, I have to forward port (5003 for filemaker) to go to different local PC on LAN(192. etc)

Security > Firewall > Add Inbound Service:
Service: fmserver
Action: Allow always
Send to LAN server : Single Address 192. etc that's filemaker installed on(and different than NAS)
Translate to Port Number: 5003 <-- is this right? how else would you indicate you want all connections on this port to go to this specific LAN machine from Internet instead of default which seems to be NAS
rest is default, I click Apply.

Here is what I don't get. In the Inbound Services table, (Security>Firewall) I have two local IP listed, one for NAS, other for Filemaker. But only the top one works and can be connected to. I can move each to top position and it will work, but they won't work simultaneously, just the one which is on top Smiley Sad

and yes I read the manual over and over and don't know how I'm screwing up port forwarding on this, although I'm brand new to probably something dumb Smiley Happy (our work IT guy is gone so trying to meddle through this somehow)

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear ProSafe VPN Firewall SRXN3205 and port forwarding?

Hello sinieq, 

There is a heirarchy on the Inbound Services table, this is normal. I see 4 services added using "ANY" (ANY uses any port number) you'll have to remove/disable these because of the heirarchy rule on the table, all other services will be disregarded when ANY is used. What is the port number being used by the NAS? I don't see a port defined for the NAS access. Try disabling services using "ANY" and try again adding translate to port number for the NAS. 

Let us know what happens. 

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello sinieq, 

Welcome to the community!

I'd like to get some more details for us to help you with this one. I have listed them below: 

1. . Does the FileMaker and the NAS use the same port number? 
  2. What is the firmware version of the SRXN3205? 
  3. Did you add the service "fmserver" manually by going to Security>Services? 

Looking forward to your response. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 6
sinieq
Aspirant

Hello, thank you for replying.

I am sorry for the late response but I wanted to get back to the office to take pictures to help with clarity and it's closed over the weekend.

http://imgur.com/a/OejfF

This is the setup that it was before I started looking into it, with the exception that I have added the fmserver service.

To shortly summarise the Inbound Services, .39 & .111 are NAS storages, .116 and .119 related to call services, and .86 is the filemaker mac. I believe the Inbound Services are priority based in that table, as when I type my outside IP (say, 72.*.*.*) into the browser it asks me to insert the NAS password and I have access to my files etc. If I move fmserver to the very top, it will show me the fmserver login (via browser public IP) instead and block my NAS access. I'd like both of them to be somehow accessible from the outside, I tried putting the Translate to Port Number to 5003 for fmserver but doesn't seem to work.

Also, the Inbound Services have same values as fmserver inside "edit" except for name of service of course and Start IP, but I don't see say Talkswitch used anywhere else as Inbound Services pictures uses ANY for all except fmserver.. so I don't get how this was set up.

I haven't modified anything yet as it seems NAS and phones are working fine together, but NAS and filemaker seem to overlap, wichever one is on top in Inbound services goes through. All other screens on rounter config are empty/defaulted I believe.

Sorry for longetivity of this post, appreciate any help.

Message 3 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello sinieq, 

There is a heirarchy on the Inbound Services table, this is normal. I see 4 services added using "ANY" (ANY uses any port number) you'll have to remove/disable these because of the heirarchy rule on the table, all other services will be disregarded when ANY is used. What is the port number being used by the NAS? I don't see a port defined for the NAS access. Try disabling services using "ANY" and try again adding translate to port number for the NAS. 

Let us know what happens. 

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 6
sinieq
Aspirant

Thank you that fixed the issue Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi sinieq, 

You are welcome! Have a great day! 

Thanks, 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements