Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X8 R8500

pkbothers
Aspirant

Nighthawk X8 R8500

I have:

1. Motrola SB183

2. NETGEAR ProSAFE GS116NA 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch (GS116NA)                              

3. Netgear nighthawk X8

4. NETGEAR ProSAFE GS108 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch (GS108-400NAS)

If I my connect my Ethernet cable :

Motorola SB183 to Netgear nighthawk X8 to NETGEAR ProSAFE GS116NA 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch (GS116NA) to NETGEAR ProSAFE GS108 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch (GS108-400NAS) it is working perfect.

If I connect my Ethernet cable :

Motorola SB183 to NETGEAR ProSAFE GS116NA 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch (GS116NA) to Netgear nighthawk X8 it is working standalone

Motorola SB183 to NETGEAR ProSAFE GS116NA 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch (GS116NA) to NETGEAR ProSAFE GS108 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch (GS108-400NAS) it is working it is working standalone.

Motorola SB183 to NETGEAR ProSAFE GS116NA 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch (GS116NA) to Netgear nighthawk X8 and NETGEAR ProSAFE GS116NA 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch (GS116NA) to NETGEAR ProSAFE GS108 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch (GS108-400NAS). My Netgear nighthawk X8 is working perfect but I am not getting connection to my GS116 other ports and GS108 all the ports.  How can I make it work both my GS116 and GS108 switches work with this combinations?

Any thought

Model: FVS338|Cable/DSL ProSafe VPN Firewall with 8-port switch with Dial Backup
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk X8 R8500

Hi pkbothers, 

No, there shouldn't be and loss unless you have a ton of Firewall Rules created on the router. The switches do not really affect your internet bandwidth so adding Gigabit switches will not speed up your internet. Just like what I have mentioned, the setup will not work since the switches do not have the capability to create their own network that is why they need to be behind the Router (which is the DHCP server). 

Thanks,

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello pkbothers, 

Welcome to the community! 

Both the GS108 and GS116 are passthrough switches therefore, they cannot create their own network. The Motorola modem can only provide  a single address (unless configured as a router), so the switches are only acting up as a passthrough and the router gets the IP address. Your setup should be Motorola>Knighthawk Router>GS108>GS116 (or GS116>GS108). The Knighthawk router is the DHCP server, it is the one that will provide the network addresses to the devices connected. 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 9
pkbothers
Aspirant

Great answer. Which netgear switchs I should bought to make this commbination work. Mine is a house set up.

Message 3 of 9
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi pkbothers, 

The GS108 and GS116 are already good models, though you can save more space if you have bought a 24-port model. Just follow the sequence of devices I gave you ,Modem>Router>Switch. 

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 9
pkbothers
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. If I do this I am loosing my speed. My cable modem is a powerful one it has 100Mbps download and 50Mbps upload speed.

I was thinking if I do the connection  Modem > 16 port Switch > 8 Port switch and 16 port Switch > Router I will gain some speed. Please let me know if my understanding is correct. If yes how to achive it.

Message 5 of 9
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi pkbothers, 

No, there shouldn't be and loss unless you have a ton of Firewall Rules created on the router. The switches do not really affect your internet bandwidth so adding Gigabit switches will not speed up your internet. Just like what I have mentioned, the setup will not work since the switches do not have the capability to create their own network that is why they need to be behind the Router (which is the DHCP server). 

Thanks,

Message 6 of 9
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi pkbothers, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 7 of 9
pkbothers
Aspirant

i got all the clarity why the entire connection was not working  for me. I am clear on that part now. However i was wondering if there are any switchs i can use which assign IP address automatically so that i can use connection like below not considering the cost.

1. Cablem modem -> 16 port switch -> Nighthawk X8 R8500 & 16 port switch -> 8 port switch

Message 8 of 9
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello pkbrothers, 

Layer 3 switches can create their own pool of IP however, the next problem you'll face is NAT. If you will place a (Layer 3) switch between the router and the modem it will create its own network and will not communicate with the devices behind the router. I don't really see the point of the setup you are looking to configure. 

Thanks, 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements