Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Prosafe router host names for LAN devices

theblake
Follower

Prosafe router host names for LAN devices

Is my Prosafe FVS336G router supposed to be providing host name for my lan connected devices - becuase it doesnt.

Under the Lan Setup - DHCP configuration settings there is a field for domain name. The help file has only this info:

> Domain Name: Name of the domain (Optional).

Then underLan Group configuration,  we can assign each device a name. The help file says this:

Name: The name of the computer or device. For computers that do not support the NetBIOS protocol, they will be listed as "Unknown". In this case, the name can be edited manually for easier management. If the computer was assigned an IP address by the DHCP server, then an asterisk is be appended to the name.

I would assume if my domain was specified as:   domain.net

and the device name is : machine

then the fqdn would be machine.domain.net which would be known to all users on the Lan.

right?

Model: FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Prosafe router host names for LAN devices

Disclaimer: I don't have any practical experience about these legacy devices. Based on very similar devices and config options seen here with Netgear and many other older so called small business or consumer routers:

@theblake wrote:

Is my Prosafe FVS336G router supposed to be providing host name for my lan connected devices - becuase it doesnt.

You expect kind of an automatic DNS configuration for devices on the LAN, either based on the hostname provided as part of the DHCP request, alternate the hostname configured ... Netgear does not have this well known feature from other brands consumer routers AFAIK.

@theblake wrote:

Under the Lan Setup - DHCP configuration settings there is a field for domain name. The help file has only this info:

> Domain Name: Name of the domain (Optional).

This does just configure the domain name, part of the DHCP domain option, no additional functionality.

@theblake wrote:

Then underLan Group configuration,  we can assign each device a name. The help file says this:

Name: The name of the computer or device. For computers that do not support the NetBIOS protocol, they will be listed as "Unknown". In this case, the name can be edited manually for easier management. If the computer was assigned an IP address by the DHCP server, then an asterisk is be appended to the name.

Naming is just for local management purposes 8-/

Considering the most popular DHCP/DNS open source implementation does have this feature for free - very disappointing.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements