Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router with Static IP for a lan SERVER and rest with DHCP

chris2969
Aspirant

Router with Static IP for a lan SERVER and rest with DHCP

Looking for Router advice. I'm trying to avoid having 2 circuits in the house.

I currently have DSL service and the ADSL Router is in my Library on the 1st floor. It works in DHCP mode and the other Devices work off this router (Printer, laptops, TV etc). I now want to add a server into my basement - the server requires a Static IP. How can I make this work with a single circuit from the ISP?

If I put a router in the basement, then the router will be configured in Static IP mode to hand-off a Static IP LAN connection to the Server. Then the rest of the LAN ports are all LAN Static IP ports. How do I use the ADSL router to continue to keep the rest of the network the same (since the input to that router is a DSL signal, not a LAN connection)?

Message 1 of 3
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Router with Static IP for a lan SERVER and rest with DHCP

Hello chris2969, 

Welcome to the community! 

I'm trying to understand your setup. Are you planning to assign a static Public IP to the server? What NETGEAR devices are you using? If you have a rough diagram of what you are trying to accomplish, you may post it here. 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 3
SamirD
Prodigy

Re: Router with Static IP for a lan SERVER and rest with DHCP

Depending on what type of server you want to install and what type of access it requires, you might be able to do something as simple as assign a dhcp reservation to it and put that ip in the dmz.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements