Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SRX5308: Continued development of firmware?

SRX5308: Continued development of firmware?

The mods may be able to answer my question here: is the SRX5308 firmware still being developed? I mean, the current version is getting long in the tooth, especially with the recent posting of vulnerabilities (courtesy of some alphabet agencies) that may or may not affect this device.

I've looked around on the product pages, and I'm not seeing any new hardware that could displace this device....so, what's going on?

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi lightknightrr,

I believe that a new firmware is being developed by the engineering team not just only for the SRX5308 but also for other ProSAFE VPN Firewalls such as the FVS336Gv3, FVS318N and FVS318Gv2.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@lightknightrr,

As a follow-up, NETGEAR has posted a new firmware version for the SRX5308 which is Firmware Version 4.3.5-3.  You may download it here

Be reminded to perform a factory reset on the SRX5308 after upgrading the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch in order to start clean using the latest firmware version.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 6
abrightidea
Tutor

Still no support of SHA-2 SSL Certificates. This is insane. Netgear is obviously not serrious about security.

Message 4 of 6

To be honest, it feels like we are getting a (singular) software engineer on a part time basis. The File Zilla thing has been there for a while...

On another note, it would be nice if NetGear would release a new Firewall (while fixing the old ones...we like commitment here) with 10GbE ports. Really only need to upgrade the SRX5308 with faster ports, faster / more cores, and a RAM / SSD disk upgrade, and it would sell...but not if they don't assign a permanent team to fix the bugs as they creep up.

Actually, make the 10GbE switches less expensive as well, and I'll rip out the GbE switches we're currently using. Still can't find a worthwhile (copper) 10GbE PCIe card that doesn't cost half a grand; or a laptop with a 10GbE copper port built into it. On the other hand, I have been ordering Cat 7 lately, so at least we can hypothetically move beyond GbE. 😉

Thank you for your help, DaneA. It is appreciated.

Message 5 of 6
spacecompany
Aspirant

Unfortunally Netgear has announched the EOL status for the SRX5308... And so far, there is no replacement coming for the VPN router as management has decided to drop the developement for PRO Firewalls.

I just hope they will come back on this descision, same as they did, not to allow a Facebook login within the WAC720/730/740 range... (guess what just was implemented in the latest firmware of those units... 😉

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements