Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SRX5308 DNS configure?

argylegp
Novice

SRX5308 DNS configure?

How do I configure DNS on a remote SRX5308?

The remote office does not have a server, so the SRX5308 is acting as the DHCP supplier. I have the DHCP configured with the DNS#'s of the ISP.

This creates a problem with DNS references to internal servers at head-office when going through the VPN tunnel.
Message 1 of 4
fordem
Mentor

Re: SRX5308 DNS configure?

The SRX5308 does not have a DNS server, so there is no configuration - if you want to refer to the internal servers by name, hard code them into the host file on each computer, or install a DNS server on the network. You could try entering the DNS server at the head office into the SR5308 as the first DNS server, but be aware that you could see degraded web browsing performance if that is done.
Message 2 of 4
argylegp
Novice

So the best option would be a DNS server at the remote office?

I was trying to avoid that. I would like a minimum of hardware at the remote offices.

Would WINS do the job?
Message 3 of 4
fordem
Mentor

There comes a time when you need to either invest the time to learn who the technology works, or invest in staff who already know how it works. To use WINS you will need a WINS server. To do name resolution without additional hardware see post #2 above, there were two suggestions that require no additional hardware.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements