Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SRX5308 GUI not visible from browser and all ports show closed on nmap scan

p912s
Aspirant

SRX5308 GUI not visible from browser and all ports show closed on nmap scan

Hello all!

We have 5 locations that are connected via VPN using SRX5308 routers. They've been in place going back several years. Originally locations were connected using FVG318 routers and those were replaced over time with the SRX5308. Everything has always worked great and we've been very pleased.

But recently I tried to login to a router at one of the locations and when I click my browser bookmark it reports:

Hmmm… can't reach this page

192.168.10.1 refused to connect.

This has never happened before. And I don't know when the problem started. The last time I recall logging in to the router was 4 or 5 months ago. The result is the is the same on a local pc or over the VPN.

Scanned the router's ports with NMAP locally on the network and found all of the ports are closed except for port 23.

This week I shipped a micro pc to the location and had it attached to the serial port on the router.

Using Puttty I'm able to login to the router, view it's configuration, update it's configuration, reboot it, but I don't see how to change the status of the ports from closed or anything to do with gaining access to the GUI.

Using Putty I did enable Remote Management, and when I view the status using Putty it shows enabled. But I can't connect that way either.

As for the router itself, it's functioning fine. The VPN is up and the locations are communicating normally. The port forwards for remotes, camera system etc all work as they should. I just can't access the GUI.

Anybody know what I'm missing here?

Thanks

Scot

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@p912s,

Is there a was to do a backup to a local pc same as you do thru the GUI?

I don't think that there's another way to backup the config that is the same or similar as through the web-GUI.  With this, you will need to reconfigure the SRX5308 from scratch after doing a factory reset. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@p912s,

Have you tried using other browsers?  If not yet, kindly try using other browsers like Firefox or use Incognito mode in Chrome.  Then, check if you'll be able to access the web-GUI.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 9
p912s
Aspirant

@DaneA,

Thanks for the suggestion. I had previously tried Chrome, Edge, IE and Firefox. But not in any of their protected/private modes.

Just tried Chrome using Incognito and had the same result. Can ping it. Can see it in a network scan. Can access using the serial port w/Putty. Just can't open the GUI with a browser.

AH.png

Message 3 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@p912s,

Since the SRX5308 do not have any updates anymore because its EoL (End of Life), let's try to use an old version of a browser.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 9
p912s
Aspirant

@DaneA,

We have 5 of these and they all have the same firmware. And I can login to all except this one. And I have tried logging in with an old test  pc running WIndows 7 with older browsers and that didn't work either.

I know how it needs to be reconfigured so I can factory default it and reconfigure. My only concern with that is I'm several hours away from the router. Does the following sound right?

Factory default will set the WAN to DHCP to get an ip from the internet provider. And set LAN to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and enable the DHCP server to give an ip address to the mini pc I have connected with both serial and ethernet. And the mini pc has AnyDesk running so as long as it has internet access I can login to it.

So I should be able to factory default the router and after it reboots login to my mini pc on site and reconfigure the router; yes?

Thanks

Message 5 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@p912s,

You may proceed with doing a factory reset on your SRX5308. 

You can backup the present config of your SRX5308 then perform a factory reset.  Afterwards, try to login to the web-GUI.  If you are able to login, you can restore back the config.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 9
p912s
Aspirant

@DaneA,

I see thru the CLI that I can do a backup, but it looks like it will only go to an FTP site. Is there a was to do a backup to a local pc same as you do thru the GUI?

Thanks

Message 7 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@p912s,

Is there a was to do a backup to a local pc same as you do thru the GUI?

I don't think that there's another way to backup the config that is the same or similar as through the web-GUI.  With this, you will need to reconfigure the SRX5308 from scratch after doing a factory reset. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 9
p912s
Aspirant

@DaneA,

Thanks for confirming I'm headed the right direction.

Appreciate your input.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements