Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SRX5308 : Packet capture limited to 1 second

fredouille91
Aspirant

SRX5308 : Packet capture limited to 1 second

Hi,

I try to use packet capture to diagnose high bandwidth consumption on my SRX5308. I use Wireshark to analyse the cap file generated by the SRX5308 but the problem is that Netgear get packets for 1 second only even if I stop the capture after many minutes.

Is this abug or a known limitation ? Is there any way to bypass this behaviour ?

The firmware is 4.3.3-6.

THanks for your help,

Fred

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi fredouille91,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

a. For how many times did you try to capture packets using the Packet Capture Tool of the SRX5308?

b. Have you tried to reboot the SRX5308 then try to capture packets again using the Packet Capture Tool of it?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
fredouille91
Aspirant

Hi,

This problem has always been present ,even with older firmwares.

For today, the router was rebooted a few minutes before capturing packets.

Regards,

Fred

Message 3 of 7
Danthem
NETGEAR Employee

It should capture until it runs out of space to hold the capture.. If that space gets filled up in one second I guess that you have *a lot* of traffic flowing through the SRX?

How large is the capture file when you download it? Have you tried a different browser?

Also, 4.3.3-8 is out now.. What you're experiencing is not a known issue for 4.3.3-6 but it may still be worth upgrading.

Message 4 of 7
fredouille91
Aspirant

Hi,

The cap file is usually around 700 kB for one second.

Is there any way to see the available space on the router ?

Message 5 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi fredouille91,

The SRX5308 has a Flash Memory/RAM of 64MB/512MB respectively . Although the fact that the capture stops after 1 second sounds like it is not working correctly, unless it is capturing a LOT of traffic in that 1 second.  I recommend you to try to upgrade the firmware of the SRX5308 to v4.3.3-8 then perform a factory reset then reconfigure it from scratch and try using the Packet Capture Tool again.  Observe if same problem occurs.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 7
fredouille91
Aspirant

Hi,

Unfortunatly, we can't do that because the router is in production, and it will be too tedious to reconfigure it from scrath.

Moreover, every time we got a problem with this router (unexcpected CPU saturation, unusable VOIP (due to known bug still not solved)), that was the solution provided by the support and every time this didn't change anything.

Anyway, we planned to change it by the end of the year and this problem will decide us to go faster to get a more robust equipement.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements