Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SRX5308 - Slow download speed

netgear2015
Aspirant

SRX5308 - Slow download speed

I have 100Mbps connection plugged into Wan1 of SRX5308.
Lan1 is connected to GS724TS. I have number of servers connected into GS724TS switch.

I can scp a 1.8GB file on internally from one server to another within about 40seconds at 45MBps.

The same file if try to scp from outside the network I get about 2 to 2.5Mbps and it takes 5+ minutes to download.

I have tested by internet connection with the Cogent support without the firewall and I am getting expected throughput.

After reading threads on the forum I have upgraded firmware on to srx5308_v4.3.3-3

I have load balancing on (even though there is only one line coming in). Maybe that was the default. Not sure. It should matter though since there is no second wan connection to loadbalance.

As recommended by Cogent support I have set Port Speed on WAN1 is set to 100BaseT Full Duplex

On the switch GS724TS - I see all ports at 1000M except the port connected to the Firewall shows 100M. I would have expected this to also show 1000M.

I have gone through the settings multiple times to see if I have missed anything.

Not sure if the issue is with Wan/Lan crossover speed or that the switch is not Autosensing firewall's Lan port speed correctly.
Thanks
Message 1 of 12
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Re: SRX5308 - Slow download speed

netgear2015 wrote:
On the switch GS724TS - I see all ports at 1000M except the port connected to the Firewall shows 100M. I would have expected this to also show 1000M.
Are you using a CAT5e or CAT6 cable on the port connecting the SRX5308 and the GS724TS? Have you tried using other CAT5e or CAT6 cable to isolate the problem? Is the LAN port Right LED of the SRX5308 that is connected to the GS724TS lit up green?
Message 2 of 12
netgear2015
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure cable type is being used. All cables are the batch of cables that are plugged into various ports. Have not tried different cables for Lan1 to switch.
The setup is not local to me, so any physical changes are time consuming.
Thanks.
Message 3 of 12
Nhellie
Virtuoso

You probably need to go on the location an do some testing, test the LAN ports individually on the firewall and switch and see if they are running gigabit. Also, make sure that the switches FW is updated.
Message 4 of 12
netgear2015
Aspirant

Firmware for the switches has not been updated for a while. I will do that tomorrow and also check out right LEDs for all four lan ports, swap out cables, etc and report back tomorrow.
Thanks for the help.
Message 5 of 12
RX
Luminary
Luminary

netgear2015 wrote:
Firmware for the switches has not been updated for a while.

Here is the link where to download the latest firmware version 5.2.0.11 for your GS724TS switch: http://support.netgear.com/product/GS724TS

After a successful firmware update, it is recommended to perform a factory reset then reconfigure the device from scratch.
Message 6 of 12
netgear2015
Aspirant

SRX firmware upgrade was easy, it kept all my config. For switch I looks like a longer process. I am not sure if the switch is at v 1.x of the firmware. I would need to update bootloader too.

Also, I forgot to mention switches are stacked - stack 1 and 2.

Thanks for the link.
Message 7 of 12
Nhellie
Virtuoso

You will need to use the Smartwizard utility to install the FW, much easier that way (can be downloaded on the link provided by sassword).
Message 8 of 12
netgear2015
Aspirant

I was stressing about the steps. I don't to get an outage with messed up switch. I will use the wizard. Thanks sassword and Nhellie26
Message 9 of 12
netgear2015
Aspirant

Hi
I was able to do some more testing. Findings from my tests are below.
1. Right LED for Lan1 from Firewall to Switch shows steady green light.

2. Connected laptop directly to Lan2 of the Firewall
Speakeasy Speedtest - 88Mbps Download & 22Mbps Upload

3. Connected laptop into a port on the Switch
Speakeasy Speedtest - 85Mbps Download & 25Mbps Upload

4. Shutdown and restarted Firewall and Switch
Speakeasy Speedtest - 92Mbps Download & 37Mbps Upload

5. Internal SCP of 1.9GB file from one server to another connected to the switch transfers at 46MB/s and completes in 38 seconds

6. Testing from remote location which has 74Mbps Download & 6Mbps Uploads speed
-- Doing a SCP download of the same 1.9GB file or browser based download of the same file gives about 3MB/s

What do I need to do to increase the 3MB/s download speed that I get trying to download the same file from remote location. Uploading a large file from remote location shows 600Kbps.
Thanks
Message 10 of 12
netgear2015
Aspirant

Have 100Mbps line coming in.

Upgraded to firmware version 4.3.3-6.

Reset to factory defaults

Manually setup all rules

Speed test shows 95Mpbs up and down speeds.

Speed remains high as expected after multiple reboots. 

So looks like this issue is resolved with the latest firmware updates.

Will have 1Gbpe line shortly. Will report back on speedtest findings in a few days.

Message 11 of 12
Rolf_Gross
Initiate

Disable all Traffic Metering, that works.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements