Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SRX5308, wifi dropouts

Hamlet
Aspirant

SRX5308, wifi dropouts

I have an SRX5308 set up with an 2 Wans, an ADSL connection and a 4G wireless. I use a Nighthawk R7000, AC1900 as an access point at my house and an AP731 at my shed approximately 150meters away. 

On 3 different laptops I have constant issues of the wifi dropping out. It always connects, seems to operate at good speed but then some period between a few minutes and 1/2 an hour it will disconnect. 1st it comes up with a DNS error, then a yellow exclamation point on the connection and says there is no internet. If I change from the 2.4 to the 5g connection (or visa versa) it will almost immediately come back on and will again operate for a few minutes to 1/2 hour. If I leave it, not changing freq, then it will take a minute or so and reconnect. It does this on both access points (house and shed).

I have tried fixed IP and DHCP on the laptops. All are running Win10. All firmware is the latest. I don't seem to log errors on the SRX. 

I have no issues with hardwired computers on the same network.

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Hamlet,

Let us first check the wired connection to the internet in order to isolate the problem.  Here are the steps below:

1. Connect a PC/laptop directly to any LAN port of the SRX5308.  Make sure to disable the built-in wireless adapter of the PC/laptop.

2. Check if the PC/laptop is able to acquire a valid LAN IP address to its wired adapter.

3. Open a browser and observe if you are able to surf the internet just fine while the PC/laptop is directly connected to the SRX5308.  

Are you able to go online just fine via a wired connection through the SRX5308?  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
Hamlet
Aspirant

As mentioned in my post.... System works fine when hard-wired

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Hamlet,

Thanks for the feedback.  Since the wired connection is fine through the SRX5308, then the Nighthawk R7000 set as the access point should be checked.  I suggest you to post your concern about the WiFi dropouts in the Nighthawk WiFi routers here.  You may want to start your post by doing some troubleshooting steps like changing the wireless channel then indicate what is the result.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements