Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SRXN3205 Slow file transfer over WLAN

H3llGhost
Aspirant

SRXN3205 Slow file transfer over WLAN

Hello,

I configurated my SRXXN3205 with 5 GHz 802.11n (Region: Europe(40Mhz), Mode: 11na, Channel: Auto, Channel Spacing: 40 Mhz). I am using two laptops with full signal strength, but the transfer rates are very slow.
The maximal through put is 3,3 MB/s.

Isn't there no possibility to increase the transfer rate?
The wiki page shows that 150 MBps are possible.

Message 1 of 18
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: SRXN3205 Slow file transfer over WLAN

40Mhz is full N using bonded channel so you would expect upto 300Mbps.

each wifi devices will device equally so in nature, speed will change between single wifi <-->wired transfer vs wifi <-->wifi.
3.3Mb/sec is only about 25Mbps
Message 2 of 18
H3llGhost
Aspirant

40Mhz is full N using bonded channel so you would expect upto 300Mbps. [...] 3.3Mb/sec is only about 25Mbps
That is the reason, why I wrote this question and can't understand why the speed is so low. I will test the single devices with a transfer on a wired computer and report the results.
Message 3 of 18
H3llGhost
Aspirant

So I tested it again and the maximal through put over WLAN is 7 MB/s and the device can transfer more than 7 MB/s.

Here are no other 5 GHz WLANs around and we are sitting next to the router.
Message 4 of 18
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

seems only using 802.11A (54Mbps/5Ghz) speed
Message 5 of 18
H3llGhost
Aspirant

Yes, but Windows shows me in the device settings 300MBits.
What shall I trust?
Message 6 of 18
fordem
Mentor

Welcome to the world of wireless - where advertised speeds are the maximum theoretically available and NEVER attainable in the real world.

For reasons best known to the IEEE and the equipment manufacturers, the manufacturers are allowed to advertise the maximum theoretical speeds of the technology, rather than the actual throughput of the product - it has been this way from the time WiFi was accepted as a mainstream technology.

802.11b - advertised at 11mbs - is incapable of delivering more than 6~7 mbps
802.11a & g - advertised at 54 mbps - will not deliver more than 22~25 mbs
802.11n - advertised at 300 mbps - will not deliver more than 70~80 mbs.

I know you're going to tell me that your 25 mbs is far less than the 70~80 I'm saying is possible, but, you need to learn what it takes to deliver that 70~80 and see if the combination of router & adapter can meet it.

The 802.11n specification allows for four spatial streams - which would require both router & adapter to have four channels (four radios & four antennas) - the most I have seen are three, and that is relatively rare - the norm appears to be two - please note the word appears is in italics, that's a personal observation - right now I'm searching for a wireless access point that will support more than two streams and in both frequency bands - it might be easier to find the holy grail.
Message 7 of 18
H3llGhost
Aspirant

Thanks for the enourmous informations about wireless.

In general I can agree with all points, but it doesn't explain why a laptop can reach with other network more than 12 MB/s and not with the SRXN3205.
Is the WLAN throughput not high enough?
Message 8 of 18
fordem
Mentor

You don't mention this 12MB/s laptop in your other posts, nor do you provide any details as to the circumstances under which this 12MB/s throughput was achieved - I am therefore not in a position to make a comment.

Suffice to say 12MB/s, which translates to roughly 120mbs (yes I know it's 8 bits to a byte, there's also addressing & encryption overhead), is significantly faster than most wireless systems are capable of, and I'd certainly like to know ...

a) what wireless router/access point was used
b) what wireless client was used
c) how the throughput was measured.
Message 9 of 18
H3llGhost
Aspirant

It is a 5 GHz n-Network with 300 MBits with -38 dB. The access point is following Aruba AP-124/AP-125. Throughput was measured with a HTTP download.
Message 10 of 18
H3llGhost
Aspirant

I forgot informations about the used wireless device:
device: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN
driver version: 13.4.0.9
driver date: 18.10.2010
Message 11 of 18
fordem
Mentor

You also neglected to specify the source of the data - where was the http server you were downloading from and how does it attach to your network - if it's not on your network, please also let me know the speed of the network connection betwene the networks.
Message 12 of 18
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Message 13 of 18
H3llGhost
Aspirant

fordem wrote:
You also neglected to specify the source of the data - where was the http server you were downloading from and how does it attach to your network - if it's not on your network, please also let me know the speed of the network connection betwene the networks.

1 Gbit/s fiber.

jmizoguchi wrote:
best way to test throughput is this

http://www.ixchariot.com/products/datasheets/qcheck.html

Thanks, I will try 🙂
Message 14 of 18
adit
Mentor

Which firmware on the router? Did you follow the firmware upgrade procedure?
Message 15 of 18
H3llGhost
Aspirant

Firmware 3.0.7-24 is on the router.
Message 16 of 18
fordem
Mentor

You do realise you're comparing a $250 wireless firewall/router with a $1000 wireless access point ...

What's between the Aruba and the 1Gb fibre connection?
Did you measure throughput on the SRXN3205 the same way?
What type of internet connection do you have feeding the SRXN3205 and how fast is it?

A quick glance at the spec for the Intel 6300 and the Aruba shows them to be both 3x3, that information is missing from the SRXN3205 data sheet, it does have three antennas but that does not indicate the underlying topology - most of the older 802.11a/b/g equipment was single channel with dual antenna diversity systems.

On closer examination - the Intel is 3x3 with three spatial streams, and the Aruba as 3x3 with two spatial streams
Message 17 of 18
H3llGhost
Aspirant

Oh ...

The 1Gb fibre connection is WAN and internal is 10Gb fibre between the core switches and a failover from 1 Gb fibre.
All is connected with 1 Gb Ethernet.

Yes both measures was on the same way.
The SRXN3205 is connected to 100MBits WAN, which delievers 16+ MB/s.

It would be interesting to know, what the SRXN3205 uses.
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements