Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Sign in for NETGEAR Dynamic DNS fails

jdrch
Apprentice

Sign in for NETGEAR Dynamic DNS fails

Per the BR500's user manual, page 43, BR500 users should be able to set up and register a free Dynamic DNS account. However, the instructions don't work.

First of all, when I tried the steps on that page after selecting No in Step 7, I got an error message saying:

The email has already been registered with a different password

This doesn't make any sense, as I've never used NETGEAR's DDNS service before. Figuring it might be a reference to my MyNetgear account, I used the credentials for that. Shockingly, that failed silently: the signup page reloaded with all the fields blank, and clicking the Show Status button gave:

No account registered. Register for an account or fill in a valid account.

Another problem is that the check for a valid hostname takes way too long. At least it happens in-line and not after the entire signup form is submitted, but it's still slow.

Anyway, any ideas on the DDNS?
Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
jdrch
Apprentice

So this is interesting: I used an entirely different email address and it worked. The reason it failed, apparenlty, is that the free NETGEAR account is actually provided by No-IP, and they both use the same user database. So if you have (had?) a previous No-IP account, either use the corresponding credentials to log in to the free NETGEAR option or sign up for a new account using a different email address.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
jdrch
Apprentice

So this is interesting: I used an entirely different email address and it worked. The reason it failed, apparenlty, is that the free NETGEAR account is actually provided by No-IP, and they both use the same user database. So if you have (had?) a previous No-IP account, either use the corresponding credentials to log in to the free NETGEAR option or sign up for a new account using a different email address.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements