Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Smarterm over VPN

RMEllis
Aspirant

Smarterm over VPN

I have a Netgear ProSafe 5308 with an IPSec VPN configured. I can connect to the VPN, see everything bind the firewall but cannot connet to Smarterm. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Robert

Message 1 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Smarterm over VPN

Hi RMEllis,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Is there a software firewall or anti-virus installed on the PC where Smarterm is running?  If yes, kindly try to disable it for the meantime then try if you be able to access it via the VPN.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi RMEllis,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.  If ever your issue is now resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 6
RMEllis
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your answers.

I can now connect to the Smarterm host however it takes forever because I need to add the ip address and name of the vpn client to the hosts file on the server. Is there any way to give the vpn client a fixed ip address that I can ping from the lan?

Message 4 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi RMEllis,

I think its possible to set a fix IP Address on the VPN Client software.  Kindly check the image on this link as reference where to set the IP Address.  Be reminded that the IP Address you will set should be on a different subnet other than your existing LAN.  It would be best to know what IP address range does your SRX5308 provides to the VPN Client software. 

Another option is you may set up Mode Config.  Check this article below as reference guide:

Configuring VPN using Mode Config, on a ProSAFE/ProSECURE router

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi RMEllis,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.  If your issue is now resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements