Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Steps on how to recover FVS318N that appears 'bricked' after failed firmware update.

nmpu
Follower

Steps on how to recover FVS318N that appears 'bricked' after failed firmware update.

I've read several archived threads about bricked FVS318N switches. They were all open-ended with no resolution. I did not bother to contact support as it was pretty clear they would pursue RMA and I don't have valid proof of purchase-- I paid $15.49 total on eBay.

Here's how I recocovered from a failed firmware update:

Symptoms:
1) Amber test LED is on
2) Can't connect via web

3) Can't login via DB9 console port-- all credientials are refused

Solution:

1) Get the latest .img firmware file (probably FVS318N_v4.3.5-3.img).

2) Install TFTPD64 and set the base directory to where your .img file is located.

3) Connect to the switch's DB9 console port.

4) Cycle power and wait for the "Hit any key to stop autoboot:" message.

5) Press a key to interrupt the boot. You'll get a "CNS3000 #" prompt.

6) Type ? [ENTER] for a list of commands.

7) Check the environment variables with printenv.

😎 Correct any environment variables using setenv. I changed ipaddr=192.168.1.1 and serverip=192.168.1.10. I also corrected etheraddr= to the LAN MAC printed on the bottom of the switch.
9) Use saveenv in case you need to repeat this process.

10) Use flashappimage FVS318N_v4.3.5-3.img (substitute firmware filename if different).
11) Configure your PC with a fixed IP of 192.168.1.10 and connect to the switch via ethernet.

12) If TFTPD64 is running, the switch should download and flash the firmware. It's a slow process, but you'll get status via the console.
13) Log in via the web interface. If you can't remember your login or the IP, then you can try the normal factory reset.

Now that I've got my switch running again, I'm reluctant to experiment any further. In my case, all the settings were the same as before the original failed firmware update.

I hope this post gives people some encouragement and enough hints to recover their switch.

--David

Model: FVS318N|ProSafe Wireless N 8 port gigabit VPN firewall
Message 1 of 2
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Steps on how to recover FVS318N that appears 'bricked' after failed firmware update.

@nmpu,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Thank you for sharing the steps you did on how to recover the FVS318N that appears 'bricked' after doing a firmware upgrade.  I edited the title of your post for more awareness to community members who encountered the same issue on their FVS318N.

Regards, 

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements