Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Traffic Meter issues with FVS336Gv3

Paul0599
Aspirant

Traffic Meter issues with FVS336Gv3

I've been having ongoing issues with data usage limits and have recently been trying to use the traffic meter feature of the FVS336Gv3. I have done some searching, but everything is either quite old or just states that this feature has never worked properly and that it's never updated/fixed (seems pretty much the same for all Netgear models). Is this still the case?

Earlier today it was reading 123,529MB used (counting both outgoing and incoming data, starting from the 19th). However, data usage shown in my ISP account is almost 141GB and is probably closer to 145GB since it doesn't include yesterday (data usage lags 1-4 days). Why is the usage amount so far off? Is it not counting all the data or is the ISP counting more data?

Also, I tried to adjust the data allowance amounts and I guess it resets (or just screws up) all the existing data because now it shows 2047 for incoming data and 4094 for outgoing data. Why?

It also never displayed the average per day value correctly (always showing whatever is the current total as the average).

At this point, I'm assuming it's pointless to pursue trying to use this feature, but thought I would ask in case I'm missing something.

Model: FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN
Message 1 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Paul0599,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly post screenshots of the data shown in the Traffic Meter of the FVS336Gv3 compared to the data usage shown from your ISP.  Kindly answer the questions below: 

a.  Is the FVS336Gv3 behind another router?  It would be best if you post a screenshot or image of your detailed network setup.

b. What is the current firmware version of the FVS336Gv3? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
Paul0599
Aspirant

Thanks for the welcome and reply.

Here are screenshots of what the router traffic meter page says as well as what the ISP says. As I said, the values changed when I changed the allowance mount (it was 133000 and I changed it to 124000 because the reported 123529MB was almost over the limit). Average per day is wrong too (always was). I didn't save a screenshot before I made the change -- I wasn't expecting it to screw it up like it did.

The firmware version in the router is 4.3.5-3.

Not sure what would be a screenshot of the network setup. A particular screen from the router? The router is connected directly to the ISP's modem (4111N), which is in Bridge mode (as close to direct as I can get). There isn't anything else connected to the 4111N. The router is configured with 3 VLANs with only two of them currently being used. All internet on the networks goes through the router. One VLAN goes to a Nighthawk and switch for the main network and the other one goes to another Nighthawk for a guest/isolated network.

Traffic meterTraffic meterUsage (starts over on 19th)Usage (starts over on 19th)

Model: FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN
Message 3 of 7
Paul0599
Aspirant

I'm keeping better track of this since the flip over on the 19th. Too soon to really tell anything yet, though.

Message 4 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Paul0599,

Happy New Year! 🙂  

As a follow-up on this, I inquired your concern to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support.  I got a feedback from the higher tier of NETGEAR Support, the Traffic Meter on the FVS336Gv3  is accurate and there were no bugs on this feature.  The FVS336Gv3 is already EoL (End-of-Life).  If ever you observed that there is an irregularity within the Traffic Meter feature, there is no new firmware (or fix) that would address it since the ProSAFE VPN Firewall product line has been discontinued.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 7
Paul0599
Aspirant

I am aware that the model and line has been discontinued some time back (unfortunately just after I got it). However, I have to strongly disagree that the features are accurate and that there are no bugs. I have many Netgear routers and the bugs just go from one to the next update/model/etc. with hardly any getting fixed. I was hoping for a work-around or something...

In any case, here are some updated screenshots. As you can see, the "no bugs" are working perfectly.

From 2018-12-23From 2018-12-23From 2019-01-03From 2019-01-03

Message 6 of 7
Paul0599
Aspirant

I realize this is going nowhere, but here it is anyway so you can see what it's showing.

The ISP now shows 115.83GB used through 01-06. The router shows just under 108GB (includes the 7th and part of 8th, which would add 5GB+ to ISP total). The average per day is obviously wrong (but apparently not a bug...). Assuming the router is counting correctly (which I don't assume), why the big difference here? By the end of the month it's off even more.Through 01-06Through 01-06Through 01-08 @ 1:15pmThrough 01-08 @ 1:15pm

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements