Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

UTM5 firmware update issues

Stinky_W_Teats
Aspirant

UTM5 firmware update issues

hi,

I have a UTM5 that has not been updated in a while (shame on me), but when I went to do so now, I ran into issues:

-  I first tried to use the Query option under Firware Download to check for the latest version

-  It gave me an error:  Failed to retrieve firmware packages information from server!Network connection error! 

-  So I tried downloading the firware package to my Macbook, which worked ok

-  I then used the Firmware upload feature to transfer it from my Macbook to the UTM5 but got an error that "The UTM has no maintenance license or the license expired."

-  So I went to the web site and looked up my UTM5 by serial number and clicked on the lnk to purchase a mainenance license using the "Purchase service contract" button, but it told me "No Contracts to display"

How do I upload the latest firmware? 

Model: UTM5|ProSecure Web/Email Threat Manager
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Stinky_W_Teats
Aspirant

Re: UTM5 firmware update issues

To summarize the solution:  The UTM5 can not be upgraded to the last firmware.  

I totally understand the decision not to offer a maintenance contract.  But at least let people install the latest firmware that is downloadable from the Netgear site so they can continue to use what they paid for.  Remove the restriction in the admin console - this is not a technical constraint; it seems to be more of a business model thing.  The hardware works perfectly fine.  But by preventing us from updating the software they have effectively rendered the hardware useless. 

So I am looking at the Firewalla Gold to replace the UTM5.  No subscription fee for signature updates, so hopefully they won't administratively kill their HW the way Netgear did with the UTM5. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@Stinky_W_Teats,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

My apologies. Unfortunately, UTM firewalls are already EOL and their maintenance license can no longer be purchased.

Capture.JPG

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
Stinky_W_Teats
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply John. 

The question is:  how can i upgrade the firmware?  It is currently at 1.x and i downloaded the 3.x last version form the Netgear website.  Just need to be able to upload it to the UTM5.

Message 3 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@Stinky_W_Teats,

You may need a maintenance license in order for you to upgrade the firmware of your UTM5. Sadly, it was discontinued.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
Stinky_W_Teats
Aspirant

Thansk John.  I will interpret that as you DO need a maintenance license, rather than you MAY need it.  So it is basically dead at this point.

Message 5 of 6
Stinky_W_Teats
Aspirant

To summarize the solution:  The UTM5 can not be upgraded to the last firmware.  

I totally understand the decision not to offer a maintenance contract.  But at least let people install the latest firmware that is downloadable from the Netgear site so they can continue to use what they paid for.  Remove the restriction in the admin console - this is not a technical constraint; it seems to be more of a business model thing.  The hardware works perfectly fine.  But by preventing us from updating the software they have effectively rendered the hardware useless. 

So I am looking at the Firewalla Gold to replace the UTM5.  No subscription fee for signature updates, so hopefully they won't administratively kill their HW the way Netgear did with the UTM5. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements