Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN Access to Local LAN for NAS device etc

MLLP2020
Aspirant

VPN Access to Local LAN for NAS device etc

Hi All

This has probably been talked about before but I am yet to find the answer so hopefully someone can help.

Basically we have an office of 30 people. The set up is Fibre line into office, runs to FVS318Gv2 and splits off to switches.

We dont have a server as everything is cloud based apart from a Buffalo Network Storage Device which is available to everyone on the network.

I have set up the VPN via L2TP server, and everyone has a user account when working away from the office. The way it works at the moment is people set up their PC at home, connect to VPN and remote control the PC in the office via Windows Remote Desktop.

This works fine for the most part but it means you have to have a PC on in the office to work.

What I want to know is how I can set up the VPN so that a user can log into the network, and see all the PC's and importantly the Buffalo Storage Device and work as if they are in the office rather than controlling another PC.

Thanks in advance

Model: FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
MLLP2020
Aspirant

Re: VPN Access to Local LAN for NAS device etc

Hi John

I responded yesturday to you, but sadly the message may not have sent befoer i closed the browser.

I have got the NAS access working now without changing anything that had already been set up.

Basically when searching the network to map the drive I originally used the the NAS's name which never appeared.

I simply used the NAS's IP adress and it was able to be mapped. It might have been obvious, but without reading a few posts i didnt realise that would have solved the issue. 

Thanks for the help, in the end it was a simple fix.

Regards

Michael

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@MLLP2020,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

May I know why do they need to use RDP? Is it because they cannot access the files from home? You should be able to directly access the NAS via VPN even if you are in a remote location. You can just map the share drive to your home PC in order for you to edit/save the files from your NAS.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
MLLP2020
Aspirant

Hi John

That is correct, we use RDP because at the moment the NAS device cannot be seen on the network when you remote log in via L2TP users. Our local network is different to the VPN network which i understand is the problem why the NAS cannot be seen. However it wont let me set it as the same IP as it comes up with an error regarding the same subnet (via L2TP Server page).

I have tried to set up the VPN via IPsec wizard but it never connects via a trial of the VPN client.

There is obviously something wrong, but I dont really know enough about it. Plus im only able to change setting while in office time so i dont want the system to go down etc.

Some info: Local network 192.168.1.1

L2TP Server 192.168.2.1 - 24

Regards

Message 3 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@MLLP2020,

I'm now a bit confused. You just said on your first post that you were able to use the NAS while on RDP via VPN. Even if you are not connected via a VPN, your NAS should have a feature that the files can be accessed remotely. I don't think that the VPN/Firewall is the issue here. May I know what do you want to achieve here?

However it wont let me set it as the same IP as it comes up with an error regarding the same subnet (via L2TP Server page).

That is correct, you cannot assign the same IP range as the local network. Any VPN does that.

I have tried to set up the VPN via IPsec wizard but it never connects via a trial of the VPN client.

Here is a step-by-step guide on how to setup IPsec VPN.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
MLLP2020
Aspirant

Hi John

I responded yesturday to you, but sadly the message may not have sent befoer i closed the browser.

I have got the NAS access working now without changing anything that had already been set up.

Basically when searching the network to map the drive I originally used the the NAS's name which never appeared.

I simply used the NAS's IP adress and it was able to be mapped. It might have been obvious, but without reading a few posts i didnt realise that would have solved the issue. 

Thanks for the help, in the end it was a simple fix.

Regards

Michael

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements