Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN Client Recomendations

TaterSalid
Virtuoso

VPN Client Recomendations

Forgive me if this is old news. I looked back several pages but nothing jumped out.

I have an old FVS318v1. Please don't laugh. I have looked in vain locally for a mate. I'm not willing to send money to some eBay crook.

The router is serving a PC running a P2P application. I am hoping to manage the PC using VPN as opposed to some service.

Is there an Open Source client that will work for this?

Model: FVS318|Cable/DSL ProSafe VPN Firewall with 8-port switch
Message 1 of 7
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: VPN Client Recomendations

Hi TaterSalid,

You can try the Greenbow VPN Client as it is also the same as the NETGEAR VPN Client lite.

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

Thanks. This is for non-commercial use so I am trying to avoid any cost.

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

There is virtually everything on board of a decent Windows system to configure and establish an IPsec VPN in general. 

Message 4 of 7
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

Thanks,

I have looked at the VPN client in Win10 and Win7 has something similar. I haven't seen much on documentation and had concluded that they were for VPN services. I will return to those for more research.

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Potential trouble can be that you might no longer find some of the potentially outdated crypto and encryption methods in place on your legacy router. Alternate approach would be implementing an OpenVPN on the PC, just requiring a single port forward on the router.

Message 6 of 7
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

I searched a little but only found help when using a service. If you could please point to detailed info, that would be helpful. I have only been a VPN user so this is new to me. Port forwarding isn't an issue. The P2P app requires that too. The router is one leg of a 4 router network so if that leg gets trashed the damage is minimal. Thanks.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements