Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN QoS FVS318G

GoldenSierra
Aspirant

VPN QoS FVS318G

I have discovered that when I do a large download(s) the site to site VPN drops out. When the download stops, the VPN reconnects. During this time the router becomes unresponsive, but when the download is done, you can get into the router. Pings also work during this outage, but other users have issues with internet connectivity.

What I was hoping, was that there was a way that I could increase the priority of VPN so it always has priority.

Message 1 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: VPN QoS FVS318G

Hello GoldenSierra, 

Welcome to the community! 

What is the total download speed you are getting from your ISP? The maximum throughput that the FVS318G (unless it is a version 2) can accommodate is 25Mbps. I believe what you can do is to create a LAN group and create a bandwidth profile for that LAN group to limit its download, this will let the VPN have the most bandwidth. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 6
GoldenSierra
Aspirant

I found out that the max trhoughput was 25Mbps when we put in the 5/50 cable connection. We actually do not get much over 18Mbps.

I was thinking that using a LAN group would be the way to do it since I could not find a way to QoS the VPN.

With the Lan group, this will throttle the entire connection and not invidiual users correct? Since I do not have any VLANs set up, I would do just group 1 and set a max amount of bandwidth, correct?

Message 3 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello GoldenSierra,

On the group that you will create, the bandwidth profile you have indicated will be shared within the group. 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
GoldenSierra
Aspirant

I see that if the router does not handle DHCP it does a network scan periodically to detect hosts on the network. Are hosts that are discovered this way automatically assigned to Group1?

Message 5 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi GoldenSierra,

By default, all networking devices such as PCs are assigned in Group 1.  However, you can edit it and change the group assignment you prefer.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements