Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN Users connecting to Network Shares

Hiran
Aspirant

VPN Users connecting to Network Shares

Hi All,

I have been running into an issue with users connecting to netowork shares through a Netgear VPN connection (Netgear FS336g).  The problem is onyl ONE user is able to access any share at any given time.  If another user tries to access another share while I am on it, I get booted from the share.

let me explain some more.  I will be browsing for a file in share name (MYSERVER/DATA), then my college opens his shared folder (MYSERVER/INFO) and I will no longer be able to see files in my share.  I have to close the screen and re-open my folder at which point I can see my files and he will get booted out.  It's like playing a game of capture the flag!  Quite annoying when you are trying to be productive.  It can be fun when you want to play a prank on someone (Not usually as likely)

Background Info / Troubleshooting Steps:

- we are using a Netgear FS336g

- we recently switched from windows VPN to the netgear vpn router (We did not have this issue with the windows VPN)

- we have tried both PPTP and L2TP and a mix

- Users that are in the office (Not connected through VPN) work fine and do not get disconnected.

- tried connecting the remote office router with VPN tunnel (connected as a VPN client)

- tried connecting shares with different users, same users, admin users

All in all this issue got the best of me and has made me feel like a rookie.  I would normally just replace the unit with something else or go back to the windows VPN but I would really like to continue using my netgear VPN firewall.

Message 1 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: VPN Users connecting to Network Shares

Hello Hiran, 

Welcome to the community! 

I understand you are having an issue with the VPN users accessing a share at the same time, I'll see if I can help you out. I have some questions first, this will help me to identify or atleast get more details on your network. Please see the questions I listed below: 

1. Does the VPN users have thier unique IPs through the tunnel? 

2. Does the issue happen on other shares as well?

3. What is the hardware version of the FVS336G? (You can PM me the serial number if you are not sure where to find it) 

4. What is the firmware version you are using? 

Looking forward to your response. 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 10
Hiran
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick response.

1) VPN users have their unique IP's

2) The issues happens no matter which share they are connected to.  I could access share A and if a user tries to use share B I will no longer see my folders in Share A.

3) the hardware version is 3 (FVS336Gv3)

4) Firmware version is 4.3.1-14

I certainly hope there is a resolution to this problem.

Thank you for your help.

Message 3 of 10
SamirD
Prodigy

This sounds like an issue with the computer the share is on.  Do this, try to both access the share from the local network and see if the problem still occurs.

Message 4 of 10
Hiran
Aspirant

I have already tried this.  We are able to access the shares without any problems on the local network.  The problem only occurs on with VPN users and only with the netgear router.  If I were to change the VPN router to something else or use the windows built in VPN server all is fine.

Message 5 of 10
SamirD
Prodigy

Gotcha.  Definitly strange.

What are the protocol stacks on the computers with the shares?  IP4/6? Netbios?  Netgios over tcp/ip?  IPX?  Is the hardware between the different shares the same or different (nic, cpu, ram, etc)?

Message 6 of 10
Hiran
Aspirant

The hardware is different between the shares which tells me that it is not the hardware.  All different nic's and cpu's.  Ram must be different as well.  Everyone on ipv4, dhcp.  Only the server has a static ip outside of the DHCP pool.

Message 7 of 10
SamirD
Prodigy

Any OS limitations on network shares?

Is the server static IP able to be pinged?  If so, can you assign a static IP to a share and see what happens?  A shot in the dark, but maybe it will tell us something.

Message 8 of 10
Hiran
Aspirant

No OS limitations.  There is a mixture of winows 7 pro and windows 8.1 pro.  Server is pingable through vpn when when the share drops.  The shared folders are on a server with a static  IP that is pingable.

Message 9 of 10
SamirD
Prodigy

I have a test we can try. Set up an ftp server on the server with the share and setup that share to also be shared via ftp. Try it with ftp and see if it also drops.
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements