Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VPN speed: windows8.1 accepting incomming vs hardware VPN

KevinCloch
Aspirant

VPN speed: windows8.1 accepting incomming vs hardware VPN

Hi,

I have a Win8.1 virual machine running on a NAS and Win8.1 is accepting incoming connections(VPN). This is located at the office where I have an ISP connection 200Mbits/s down; 15Mbits/s up. At home I have a 200Mbits/s down; 10Mbits/s up.

When I do a speedtest  with iperf, I get a 5,3Mbits/s connection over the VPN between the office and at home.

When I do a speedtest with iperf not over VPN but directly port to port I have a 11Mbits/s connection.

I can also make a VPN connection to a Qnap NAS, then the VPN speeds are 2,5Mbits/s

I can also make a VPN connection to a Win7 machine: 4,8Mbits/s

My question:

If I replace my WNDR4000 Netgear router with a FVS318N VPN router, will my VPN connection speed be faster?

Or is this 5Mbits/s the best I can get over VPN on a ISP 10-15Mbis/s upload??

Thx

Kevin

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
SamirD
Prodigy

I've run into similar situations with speed and one of the best things you can do is set up a site-to-site connection.  This way, all the vpn overhead is in the routers.   I can max out our 4Mbit upload pipe where our servers are almost 600mi away using a site-to-site configuration.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi KevinCloch,

Upgrading your NETGEAR home wireless router with a ProSafe VPN router will greatly improve the VPN throughput (Download/Upload). Kindly check this device datasheet for comparison (also with other models).

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 2 of 8
KevinCloch
Aspirant

FYI

I bought a FVS318N Prosave router.

PPTP passtrue remains les then 5mbits/s

I configured the FVS318N to receive IPSec client connection with the VPN client software of Netgear.

I get 9.85Mbits/s.

So this is close to the max connection speeds, as my upload of my ISP connection is 10Mbits/s

Thx for the advice on upgrading my router.

Kevin

Message 3 of 8
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi KevinCloch,

Congratulations! Hope you're happy on your our newly bought NETGEAR ProSafe VPN router. If you have any questions, just create a new topic or discussion.

"Teamwork makes the DREAM WORK"

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 4 of 8
SamirD
Prodigy

I've run into similar situations with speed and one of the best things you can do is set up a site-to-site connection.  This way, all the vpn overhead is in the routers.   I can max out our 4Mbit upload pipe where our servers are almost 600mi away using a site-to-site configuration.

Message 5 of 8
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SamirD,

Thank you for sharing and I hope other members will see that this suggestion as a good insight in case they encounter the same. I hope you will continue to contribute in the community by asking giving out suggestions and sharing ideas.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 8
SamirD
Prodigy

You're welcome.

I just hope to get some good help when I run into trouble.  While I've amassed quite a bit of knowledge about the netgear products I own, there is always something new to learn.

Message 7 of 8
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SamirD,

I totally agree with you! Man Very Happy

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies