Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WAN to LAN throughput FVS318G

remltr
Aspirant

WAN to LAN throughput FVS318G

I have a FVS318G which is 5 years old. Just got hooked up with Comcast business class. Direct connection to modem yields 85mbs wired.

Via the FVS318G it is 15mbs. Can someone point me to what settings I need to make or adjust to get the advertised throughput of 250mbs? Granted it can't ouput more than the modem at 85mbs, but hopefully you get my point.

Also the LAN is quite slow when everybody is up and running on the peer to peer network. Is there anyway to improve that as well? It is a 1Gb network.

Thanks for any information that you can provide.

Message 1 of 10
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello remitr,

I have some questions to ask, listed them below:

• What is the brand name of the modem?
  • What is the hardware version of your FVS318G?
  • What is the current firmware version?

Regards,

Message 2 of 10
remltr
Aspirant

Hi Jenn,

Modem: Cisco Model DPC 3941B

Hardware version : Not sure where to find that. Nothing shows on the 192.168.1.1 webpage or on the device itself.

Firmware: 3.1.1-18

Thanks for responding. Hope you can help me.

Dave

Message 3 of 10
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello remitr,

Cisco DPC3941B is a cable gateway. This means it has router capability. What WAN IP address is the FVS318G getting from the CIsco? You can give just at least the first 2 octets.

Regards,

Message 4 of 10
remltr
Aspirant

static ip is 173.160.xxx.9

gateway ip is 173.160.xxx.10

Hopefully that is what you are asking for.

Message 5 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello remltr, 

I'm joining this conversation to give more information. An FVS318G from 5 years ago is a version 1, the v1 only has a maximum WAN-LAN throughput of 22.5Mbps (based on tests). The FVS318Gv2 is the newer version that can accommodate up to 250Mbps. Given you have firewall rules configured on the FVS318G, it will really slow the throughput down. If you want to maximize the your internet speed, you may need to consider getting a newer version of the hardware. 

I hope this helps, let us know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 

Message 6 of 10
remltr
Aspirant

John,

How do I tell the difference between a v1 and v2 on the market today. Would a v2 still be labeled FVS318G or would it be a FVS318N?

And what about a switch that would probably need replacing as well since it was also purchased at the same time as the v1 router. What would you recommend there?

Thanks,

Dave

Message 7 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi remltr,

As a follow-up, you could distinguish the FVS318Gv2 from the FVS318v1 through its product order code.  The product code for FVS318Gv2 in North America is FVS318G-200NAS. The product order code of FVS318N in North America is FVS318N-100NAS.  Kindly check page 5 of the ProSAFE VPN Firewall Series data sheet here.

What type of switch are you looking for?  Kindly check this link: http://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 10
remltr
Aspirant

Alright I have the FVS318Gv2 purchased and installed and have 85 - 90mbs WAN to LAN which is max output from Comcast.

Behind the 5 year old 5 port Netgear unmanaged gigabyte switch I am getting 60mbs WAN.

I am happy with that.

My question now is would a newer model switch such as the FS105 or FS108 improve LAN speeds on a peer to peer network? Or has that tecnology not improved over the last 5 years? And is there any way to measure the LAN speed other than by the lights on the router and switch?

Thank you.

Dave

Message 9 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello remltr, 

I'd like to join this conversation and maybe help you with your query. Considering you are using all gigabit network cards on all the devices on the network adding a newer model FS105 and FS108 would not really help. The FS105 and FS108 are only fast ethernet devices, even if they are newest models they can only work at 100Mpbs maximum. There are a lot of softwares online (some are free) that you can download (ex. LAN speedtest from totusoft), they are installed on one or two of your PC's and can be used to measure the transfer speed between one device to another. The tests that you can perform are only to measure the LAN speed performance, this does not involve internet throughput.

I hope this helps, let us know.

Thanks,  

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements