Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Where is the "convert cfgVersion 2.x to version needed for v4"

john-ng
Aspirant

Where is the "convert cfgVersion 2.x to version needed for v4"

Where is the "convert cfgVersion 2.x to version needed for v4"? Or, "Don't try going from v2 to v4"? Or, "The updater wont update if you canot reload your config file when you are done."

I read the upgrade procedure (http://kb.netgear.com/29880/FVS336Gv2-Firmware-Version-4-3-3-6?cid=wmt_netgear_organic)

Not a word.

#CfgVersion = 2.1
#DeviceName = FVS336GV2

The filename after extracting is fvs336gv2_v4.3.3-6.img

No I need to decypher the cfg fle for the settings and reset them, including the VPN settings - not cool.

Model: FVS336Gv2|PROSAFE DUAL WAN GIGABIT FIREWALL WITH SSL & IPSEC VPN
Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Where is the "convert cfgVersion 2.x to version needed for v4"

Hi john-ng,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I believe this is related to your post here.  

Let me know if I got your concern correctly, it seems that you want to update the firmware of the FVS336Gv2 to v4.3.3-6 from an older firmware version and you want to restore the cfg file after you have updated the firmware, am I right?  If ever I am right, if you are updating from an older firmware version, let say for example v3.1.1-08 and you backed up the cfg file.  The moment you update the firmware to the latest version, the cfg file that came from an older firmware will not be restored.  It is because the latest version is v4.x.x.x and the older version is 3.x.x.x.  

As far as I know, there is no software application that can convert the cfg file coming from an old firmware version in order to be compatible or readable to the latest firmware version.  What I can suggest is that you take screenshots of all the settings of the FVS336Gv2 before you upgrade the firmware.  Then, perform a factory reset on the FVS336Gv2 after doing a firmware upgrade in order to have a clean start using the latest firmware version.  Afterwards, configure the FVS336Gv2 from scratch using the screenshots you've taken as you reference guide.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@john-ng,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have questions.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 4
hoerich
Aspirant

What a shame!

Snapshot every page to reconfigure the settings.

Are you serious?

Having more than hundred custom services means several hours of work.

ProSafe-Series is getting worse and worse. This is ridiculous.

Much more angry makes me the fact, that the new firmware ain't accepting the character ! in passwords.

Again the question, are you serious?

Pushing the boundaries in the wrong direction makes me think of another brand the next time.

I buy only Netgear-Products in the last 15 yrs for me and customers, but your ProSafe-Series ain't that reliable as I'm used to.

Firware Upgrade Procedures like this and your whacky WNAP210 are the best examples.

All the best, Erich

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements