Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

br500 how to setup client authentication with openvpn or regenerate configuration file

kallol
Follower

br500 how to setup client authentication with openvpn or regenerate configuration file

Is there anyway to setup per client authentication with openvpn. Openvpn works out of box, both on windows and linux. Have not tried on Mac yet.  The issue is that if an employee leaves, we need to be able to disable his/her vpn account. How do I do this with openvpn-BR500 solution?

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Re: br500 how to setup client authentication with openvpn or regenerate configuration file

BR500 does not support client authentication based OpenVPN. Currently we support the ability to import the certificate that is generated from the BR500 to the OpenVPN client currently.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
jkfcb1975
Guide

Re: br500 how to setup client authentication with openvpn or regenerate configuration file

I have gotten OpenVPN to work on the Mac but have the same concern... I was also able to login to both Instant VPN and OpenVPN at the same time from two different computers (OpenVPN on Mac and Instant on PC).

My other concern is that when you login to either VPN option there is no way to see who the user is that is logged in on Instant VPN, only that there is a user logged in.  With OpenVPN there apears to be no way at all to see if a user is even logged into the BR500.

There is no way to have any centralized administration over VPN on a BR500 as far as I can tell and everyone is silent about it!

Message 2 of 6
jkfcb1975
Guide

Would be great if Netgear would respond whether or not it's possible to setup user authentication with their implementation of OpenVPN

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

BR500 does not support client authentication based OpenVPN. Currently we support the ability to import the certificate that is generated from the BR500 to the OpenVPN client currently.

Message 4 of 6
jkfcb1975
Guide

So no real method for iOS or Android for VPN that includes any sort of authentication.  Seems a bit dangerous for a firewall no?

I can see this being a good system to deploy to many small and home based businesses but just because they're small doesn't mean they are ok with a lack of security...  Any ETA on Instant VPN apps for mobile?  Most businesses want to secure those as well.

Thanks

Message 5 of 6
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

No ETA on a mobile client for the Insight VPN but this would be a good idea to bring up in the Ideas Exchange for more exposure:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Business/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-business

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements