Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: macOS Insight Instant VPN Client Update

BretD
Admin

macOS Insight Instant VPN Client Update

Hi Community users,

Thank you for your continued patience with us regarding the Insight Instant VPN client for macOS. We are investigating several different complaints across a variety of Apple hardware platforms and are working to resolve them as soon as we can. We identified some issues that arose after recent updates to macOS. We will provide another update when we know more.

Please subscribe to this thread for future updates on this issue.

Thanks,

NETGEAR

Message 1 of 26
RobAmour
Apprentice

What’s happening with this?
Message 2 of 26
RobAmour
Apprentice

Please can we get IPSec client VPN tunnels supported on this router so I can use native MacOS VPN support and remove the issue of the broken Insight VPN Client Software?

Message 3 of 26
BretD
Admin

@RobAmour wrote:

Please can we get IPSec client VPN tunnels supported on this router so I can use native MacOS VPN support and remove the issue of the broken Insight VPN Client Software?

IPSec is available on BR500 Business Router.
https://kb.netgear.com/000060839/How-do-I-set-up-a-site-to-site-IPSec-VPN-on-my-NETGEAR-BR500-Busine... 

Message 4 of 26
RobAmour
Apprentice

That's Site to Site VPN, not Client to Site.

Message 5 of 26
PurelyAndy
Tutor

Hi,

Not sure if this helps, but if the screen is down and the computer connected to an external monitor the Insight VPN Client runs fine. 

I've seen this on someone else's software in the past possibly Enfocus Pitstop.

Cheers

Andrew

Message 6 of 26
RobAmour
Apprentice

Approaching another month and no update from Netgear.  Where do I get my refund for this defective solution?

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 7 of 26
RobAmour
Apprentice

I'm raising this case with Trading Standards in the UK to get a holt on the sale of this product.  It doesn't work and there's no visible progress on a fix.

Message 8 of 26
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

A rebuild of the MacOS VPN client is in the works. Once there is more details I will provide more information on this community post.

Message 9 of 26
jkfcb1975
Guide

I'm not sure what exaclt y is happening here but I cannot even get past the info emailed to a user for instruction on setup.  It says to 1. accept the invite, 2. Download the client, and 3. Log in to the VPN client using the MyNETGEAR account that you used to accept the invitation and connect to a VPN group

How can a user that just accepted and has no password assigned to them log in to anything?  Shouldn't the admin be able to assign a password to the user form the start or at least have them set the password on the first log in?

If I just invited them how would they have a "MyNetgear" account?

Message 10 of 26
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

A valid MYNETGEAR account that is associated with the invited email is needed to log into the VPN client. You can invite an email without a valid MYNETGEAR account but you would not be able to log into the client without creating one first. The invite email does state under instruction 3 "Log in to the VPN client using the MyNETGEAR account that you used to accept the invitation and connect to a VPN group".

Message 11 of 26
jkfcb1975
Guide

Thanks, I tried logging in with my MyNetgear credentials and it kept failing.  After some digging around I came across another thread where the Netgear folks said a new build for MacOS is in the works to address an issue (not sure what the issue is exactly but it appears to have to do with logging in), that was on Dec 19th but they have had no updates sinces on when to expect it.

How come we cannot simply add user credentials within the insight portal like you do with every other firewall/VPN router?  One place to manage a user vs two places in this case.

Thanks

Message 12 of 26
jkfcb1975
Guide

Another question... if we're service providors do we need to create an account for each client BR500 we will be VPN'ing into or will one account suffice and we will be given an option of which one at login?

As of now I am guessing we must create a user for each client and use a different email address (or alias) for each.

Thanks again!

Message 13 of 26
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

The BR500 does not need to be invited to a VPN group only the users that need access to the BR500 remotely. It is recommended to create an account for each user if you plan to have multiple users access the BR500 locations at the same time.

Message 14 of 26
jkfcb1975
Guide

Appreciate the quick response... I'm aware that only the users need to be invited but I'm a reseller and need access to multiple BR500s from multiple business not interconnected.  Do I need to invite myself to each client using a different MyNetgear account for each one?

example ABC Corp:  abc@sampleco.com

XYZ Corp: xyz@sampleco.com

Or can I simple invite my MyNetgear account to multpiple separate BR500 installs?

Message 15 of 26
RobAmour
Apprentice

Please can you move this discussion to a new topic. It’s nothing to do with the fact the VPN client STILL doesn’t work on macOS after 6 months of this issue being reported.
Message 16 of 26
RobAmour
Apprentice

STILL no update, and still no answer on refunds for your defective product.
Message 17 of 26
RobAmour
Apprentice

@BretD What's going on, 3 months since opening this thread and no update.  Plus a year since people were reporting issues in other threads, this really isnt acceptable for a business product.

@BretD wrote:

Hi Community users,

Thank you for your continued patience with us regarding the Insight Instant VPN client for macOS. We are investigating several different complaints across a variety of Apple hardware platforms and are working to resolve them as soon as we can. We identified some issues that arose after recent updates to macOS. We will provide another update when we know more.

Please subscribe to this thread for future updates on this issue.

Thanks,

NETGEAR

Message 18 of 26
RobAmour
Apprentice

@BretD seriously, this is completely unacceptable.  You're releasing new products without fixing the existing products that don't work.  How do I escalate this in Netgear, because no one is doing anything as far as I can tell.

Message 19 of 26
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Rob,

We understand your frustration and still awaiting an update on an updated development build for the macOS VPN client. Once we do have a build for testing I will forward you the client under the support case that you currently have opened. 

Message 20 of 26
RobAmour
Apprentice

It's ok, I'm writing to Patrick Lo now to express my utter frustration at his company's lack of focus and ability to deliver functional products.  Maybe he lacks visability of the products his company sells, or maybe he's promoting a sales first culture.  I hope to get an answer from him.

Message 21 of 26
KateNet
Aspirant

Any updates on this? Does the macOS client work yet?

Just purchased a BR500, and was hoping it'd work for our Mac users.

Message 22 of 26
wowpeter
Aspirant

So another 2 months has pass since the last post back in March. I understand it is COVID19 at the moment but seriously, I could have my own programming team at my business build a VPN client from scratch for the amount of time this took Netgear to try to fix this problem. What else is that there are no time frame? I have consider myself very patient, being my business is a Netgear reseller and I deal with Netgear hardware day in and day out, but this is really utterly unacceptable. I am going to have to start esculating this from the reseller channel because this is just taking way too long.
Message 23 of 26
ludovicopineta
Aspirant

Do you have any update on this client ? 

Message 24 of 26
RobAmour
Apprentice

They pulled the Mac client, they couldn’t get it to work. They provided refunds if you needed Mac vpn
Message 25 of 26
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements