Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: multiple routers go bad with fios

KENDQ
Aspirant

multiple routers go bad with fios

I have 2 FVS318N routers that boot up fine but after about 1 hour I lose all internet,  I have done factory reset and upgraded firmware to no avail,  I had fios tech out the first time and they said it was the router so I replaced with another new router and after a few months same thing.  Both times it happened just after I moved or added cameras or credit card equiptment to my network (they are connected after a 8 port switch).  am I just having bad luck or is there a isue with these netgear VPN routers when used with FIOS.  Right now I had to go back to the Actiontec fior router and it has no issue but also no VPN.  I called suport for warranty but without a support subsciption you can't get anywhere.  any sugestions?

Thanks

kendq

Model: FVS318N|ProSafe Wireless N 8 port gigabit VPN firewall
Message 1 of 15
KENDQ
Aspirant

when It does shutdown I do a reset and have noticed it will run until i connect my Magicjack, and once it goes down , it will work for a short time and need to be rebooted

Message 2 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi KENDQ,

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. What is the exact firmware version that you have uploaded to the FVS318N?  

b. Did you perform a factory reset after upgrading the firmware?  If not, kindly perform a factory reset right after upgrading the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch in order to start clean using the latest firmware version. 

c. Is the FIOS device you have a modem-only device or a modem-router combination? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 15
KENDQ
Aspirant

This has been going on for about 2 years ;

it started with 4.3.2-7  then 4.3.3-8,  and this last time 4.3.5-3.

I went into admin and did factory reset,  reboot,  then held in reset button on back while reboot (held until all lights flashed)

it is hooked Directly to the Fios ONT box Via ethernet (switched from MOCA)

I have recently noticed when it just went down again it may be trigered by my magic jack as this last time and one other time it went down righht after rebooting the magic jack .  is that posible?

Message 4 of 15
KENDQ
Aspirant

also this last time it worked over a month then went down shortly after rebooting my magig jack,  when i turned the router off then on a couple times it worked for a couple hours each of those times and went down again.  I took it home and RESET it as mentioned above, and used it at the house for a day the put it back in service till it went down later that day.

Message 5 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@KENDQ,

Kindly try the steps below:

1. On the web-GUI of the FVS318N, go to Security > Firewall > Attack Checks.

2. Uncheck the box that says "Block TCP flood."

3. Uncheck the box that says "Block UDP flood."

4. Click Apply.

5. Observe the connection.

Here are my follow-up questions:

a. Are there any firewall rules configured on the FVS318N? 

b. Is the magic jack connected directly to the FVS318N? 

c. Is the FIOS device you have a modem-only device or a modem-router combination?  What is the exact model number of it?

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 15
KENDQ
Aspirant

DanA

Thank you

it may be a couple days till I can try that, but I will let you know the results,  Right now its on the actiontec till I can get there to try your sugestions.

to answer your questions :

a]  Yes  I have a security DVR, a half dozen IP cameras, and my cash register serial to IP converters all port fowarded, I also use VPN .

b]  I have had the magic jack hooked to both the router or the 8 port netgear switch just downstream of the router

C]  the fiber cable comes into the building and connects to the newest style ( I will look for the model #) small thin black box ONT (replaced the larger white box style ONT with battery backup) Then I have a ethernet cable connection to the netgear FVS-318n.  Verizon router was not being used as there is no TV and no need for Moca.

Thanks for the help  its appreciated.

kendq

Message 7 of 15
KENDQ
Aspirant

The ONT is a I-211M-L

I bought a new magic jack and tried it again today  it was up for about 45 minutes then went doen again  and those 2 boxes were unchecked by default.  the funny thing is I tryed the router at home whith the store setting and also magicjack and it ran all night.

Thank you for the effort

Message 8 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@KENDQ,

Thanks for the feedback.  I am not sure if you have already seen the article below.  However, just sharing it to you then check if your FIOS ONT I-211M-L is set to bridge mode:

Will my NETGEAR router work with Verizon FiOS?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 15
KENDQ
Aspirant

the fact that it works for 2 to 3 hrs before going down (at my store)  and all night (at my home), after being reset and reloaded, tells me its not the setup, but I could be wrong?

thank you for your help

kendq

Message 10 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@KENDQ,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to check if the FIOS ONT I-211M-L is set to bridge mode or not?  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 15
KENDQ
Aspirant

No i wasn't as There are no settings I know of for the ONT , wouldn't bridge mode be controled by the actiontec router which is out of the equation, when replaced by the netgear.318n?  there are no switches on it and I know of no way to log in to it, verizon did replace it the last time they were at my business for this issue.

Thanks again

kendq

Message 12 of 15
KENDQ
Aspirant

had fios service in again on friday  they said there is no way to set the ONT to bridge mode,  also this time I noticed While using the router at my home with same type fios setup) when it went down I was streaming my live cctv and that never stoped however if you try to go to any other sites (home page etc.) it times out as no connection.  so it does not break the already connected internet but will not allow anything new.

Message 13 of 15
KENDQ
Aspirant

after replacing the magicjack unit I tried the 3 routers again  the 3 FVS318n still lasted less than a half hour,  the other one has been going for a few days now.  something must have blown out in the 318 units.,

thanks

kendq

Message 14 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@KENDQ,

I've re-read this forum thread and it might seem a compatibility issue between the FVS318N and Fios.  I suggest you to open a chat / online case with NETGEAR Support and let them know about your concern for further assistance.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements