Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access two routers with Netgear Genie - R6300v2 R7500v2

GQSmoos
Aspirant

Access two routers with Netgear Genie - R6300v2 R7500v2

I have decided to expand my network to give myself a little more coverage upstairs. I have an Arris SURFboard SB8200 Modem that has two Ethernet Ports to allow for two Home Networks. Right now I have a NightHawk X4 (R7500v2) connected to one Port and an AC1750 (R6300v2) connected to the other port. Both are currently working, but when I login to Netgear Genie (via routerlogin.net) I can only see and manipulate the NightHawk. Is it possible to access the settings for the other one? How?

For completeness, I used to have only the AC1750 and I would access it with Genie. When I purchased the NightHawk, I set it up as a new Router through the Genie without the AC1750 connected. 

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: Access two routers with Netgear Genie - R6300v2 R7500v2

@GQSmoos wrote:
Back-up question. I currently have a 20-port switch connected to Router 1, would it work to do your method but have it connected router 1—-switch——router 2?

Not if you want to use both as routers.

With two routers on the network, you have two devices trying to control the network, leading to addressing conflicts.

If you opt for router 1—switch—router 2, then do as @TheEther suggests, turn the second one into an access point (AP).

You gain nothing, and lose a lot, by trying to run two routers side by side. Router 1 can handle all the network controls, firewalling and things like logging and parental controls and other stuff you want. As an AP the second router can feed LAN ports and local wifi devices.

The R7500v2 is the more powerful of the pair. Use that as the router. Set theR6300v2 in AP mode.

There is support stuff, including a manual, for the R6300v2 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> R6300v2 | Product | Support <<<

See page 101.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

You should not use the second Ethernet port on the modem. It's meant to provide link aggregation when the Internet speed is faster than 1 Gbps. It can also be used if you have two public IP addresses, which is rare. With your current setup, you have two segregated networks. Devices on each of the networks won't be able to talk to each other.

You should connect your equipment in the following way.  This setup will provide you with one home network where all of your devices can see each other.

modem---router 1---router 2

On router 2, you will want to set it up as an Access Point.  Look for the AP Mode checkbox in Advanced settings.  Follow the on screen instructions to decide between using a dynamic or static IP address for router 2.  If you opt for a static address, write it down.  If you use a dynamic address, then you will need to look at the list of attached devices on router 1 to find the address.  This address, dynamic or static, is what you will need to use to log into router 2 in the future.

Message 2 of 5
GQSmoos
Aspirant

I am okay with the two networks not communicating in this use case, but I’ll probably end up doing it your way if I can’t firgure it out exactly the way I want it.

Back-up question. I currently have a 20-port switch connected to Router 1, would it work to do your method but have it connected router 1—-switch——router 2?
Message 3 of 5

@GQSmoos wrote:

Not if you want to use both as routers.

With two routers on the network, you have two devices trying to control the network, leading to addressing conflicts.

If you opt for router 1—switch—router 2, then do as @TheEther suggests, turn the second one into an access point (AP).

You gain nothing, and lose a lot, by trying to run two routers side by side. Router 1 can handle all the network controls, firewalling and things like logging and parental controls and other stuff you want. As an AP the second router can feed LAN ports and local wifi devices.

The R7500v2 is the more powerful of the pair. Use that as the router. Set theR6300v2 in AP mode.

There is support stuff, including a manual, for the R6300v2 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> R6300v2 | Product | Support <<<

See page 101.

Message 4 of 5
GQSmoos
Aspirant

Sorry, that’s what I meant at the end of the last reply. Router 1–switch—router 2 set as AP. This is what I’ll do.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7