Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disable Live Parental Controls button

cboshdave
Aspirant

Disable Live Parental Controls button

I have setup netgear genie which seems good on the surface, but my kids just figured out another weakness.  There is a netgear genie icon on the desktop.  Click it, select parental controls and low and behold, there is the button that says "Disable Live Parental Controls".  No password required.  Even though they cannot change my custom settings, they finally found the button.  

Is there a setup option that will make this accessible only via password?  

The other one that kills me (which I have posted before) for which there seems to be no solution is that if I turn on blocking at a certain time, if they are in the site currently, it doesn't actively block.  I have to reboot the router for the blocking to start.  I thought it would actively kill sessions.  

Between these two flaws, I feel like there is not really any security (yeah... I know.  Like there really ever was anyway).  But I am trying!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Disable Live Parental Controls button

Hi @cboshdave,

The LPC (Live Parental Controls) filter will only work with browsers and not actual installed games.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @cboshdave,

You can uninstall the app/program from the device/s that they are using/sharing and you can manage the Parental Controls through your own device (i.e. smartphone - Android/iOS) and use the per device filtering feature.

Blocking is handled by the OpenDNS servers and may require a refresh on the page for it to take effect.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 6
bennettg
Aspirant

So Dexter, does it look like a password protect will not be added to the desktop app and I should just delete it and use the web interface? I just want to know if I should wait for this seemingly easy fix/update or unistall and use the web only.

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
cboshdave
Aspirant

Just as an FYI... I have been very disappointed with the site blocking, etc.  When I set time limits on certain categories like games, if the kids are already in them, the blocking does not kick in.  It only starts if they are out of the game already.  Very frustrating.  I have just never found good solutions with my netgear products. 

Message 4 of 6
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @bennettg,

Yes, that would be the most practical router as of the moment.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 5 of 6
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @cboshdave,

The LPC (Live Parental Controls) filter will only work with browsers and not actual installed games.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7