Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready Share Vault cannot find the external USB drive

ninja661
Luminary

Ready Share Vault cannot find the external USB drive

Ever since I upgraded to the most recent firmware on the R8000, I connected my Western Digital USB (1Tb drive) to the USB 3.0 port and I had to reinstall my desktop as it was having issues.  Come to reinstall the ReadyShare Vault software and the drive attached to the router can no longer be found.  I have reset the router, re-registered with Ready Cloud and I can find the drive the hard way via the routerlogin.net web site, but the backup software no longer sees the drive,, What happened? Am I alone in the mystery?  I may as well, just start over, remove the  ReadyShare software and go with a bare metal backup such as Acronis or go back to the really old Disk -> Tape archival .. at least I know it was reliable -- unlike so much from Netgear lately.  I have told Netgear support that when I couldn't get the email reports sent to forget it, this is just one more stake in the coffin.  If they can't get it right, the R8000 becomes a doorstop ... waste of $$$$$$ for something that is supposed to work.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Ready Share Vault cannot find the external USB drive

Message 2 of 7
ninja661
Luminary

Tried that, no luck. They recently updated the firmware for the R8000 to, but not sure if that’s the problem or not. First time I connected the drive all was great, now it sucks wind.
Model: R6800|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Try reverting to last working FW? 

Message 4 of 7
ninja661
Luminary

Tried that, same thing.  Moved the drive off the router so I didn't have to reformat the drive.  I scanned it and chkdsk'd from my PC and thankfully, it was still intact with no drive errors.  I went back to my Linksys EA8500 router to make sure all was in good order.  I have too many installers for older systems I have and the files aren't online any more to have it mucked up by some bad software and firmware.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to ask NG support about then on the phone...

@ninja661wrote:

Ever since I upgraded to the most recent firmware on the R8000, I connected my Western Digital USB (1Tb drive) to the USB 3.0 port and I had to reinstall my desktop as it was having issues.  Come to reinstall the ReadyShare Vault software and the drive attached to the router can no longer be found.  I have reset the router, re-registered with Ready Cloud and I can find the drive the hard way via the routerlogin.net web site, but the backup software no longer sees the drive,, What happened? Am I alone in the mystery?  I may as well, just start over, remove the  ReadyShare software and go with a bare metal backup such as Acronis or go back to the really old Disk -> Tape archival .. at least I know it was reliable -- unlike so much from Netgear lately.  I have told Netgear support that when I couldn't get the email reports sent to forget it, this is just one more stake in the coffin.  If they can't get it right, the R8000 becomes a doorstop ... waste of $$$$$$ for something that is supposed to work.

Message 6 of 7
ninja661
Luminary

Tried that too!  Reinstalling everything from the ground up.  Tonight, tried resetting the router to factory defaults and some reason it wouldn't even reset with a HARD reset (by pushing the button on the back of the router!) The router *STILL* wouldn't reset.  I am going to be brave and let a Netgear support person connect to the router via remote connection (not my first choice, because I have had the luck of where a 'Support Engineer' claims to know what they are doing and usually don't have a clue making the problem worse.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7