Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Reduced bandwidth with Disney Circle

f1dad
Tutor

Reduced bandwidth with Disney Circle

I tried enabling Circle with Disney.  I have seen a 30-35% drop in bandwidth when in use.  If I switch back to using OpenDNS performance reverts to normal levels.  Anyone else noticed this?  I am running the latest firmware.

More details: I have a 200 Mbps connection and using http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest I can see that I am getting what I pay for when OpenDNS is enabled.  When I switch to using Circle, bandwidth during the speedtest drops to 130-140 Mbps. 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @f1dad

Did you reset the unit after updating to the latest firmware? 

How many devices are connected to the router? 

Can you provide your network setup? 

Are you testing the speed through wired or wireless connection? 

Message 2 of 8
f1dad
Tutor

Hi @ElaineM,

By reset do you mean power cycle?  I didn't do anything other than let the firmware update complete as normal.

I have 14 wireless and 3 wired devices connected to the R7000.  I have a EX7000 extender connected to the R7000 and my test machine is actually connected to the EX7000 (along with 4 other devices).  So, PC --wired--> EX7000 --wireless--> R7000 --wired--> Cable modem.

Works well and I get a consistent 200 Mbps using OpenDNS as I write this.  Switched to Circle again just now to retest and still get 125 Mbps.

Rych

Message 3 of 8
cyberprashant
Luminary

Seeing the same 30%to 50 percent performance drop with circle. Switched back and forth to opendns and back def circle related. 120mbs down and with circle 60mps w various different speedtest. Additionally my ring doorbell and floodlights video feeds dont work

I really like circle and hope you can sort this out: for now staying w opendns
Message 4 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @f1dad,

I believe Elaine was referring to a factory reset which we recommend after updating the router's firmware. The link below may help out.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9665

1. Does the issue persist on devices that are connected straight to the router?

2. Does the issue persist on all your devices (wired and wireless)?

3. Does the issue persist on both bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz)?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 5 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @f1dad,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 6 of 8
lmazuel
Guide

Same issue here, I was looking if someone did a post about that when I found this one. I was getting 5Mbps, and didn't think about Circle on Netgear at first, so I contacted Comcast. The guy came and did a hard reset of the router (R7000). Back to 300Mbps! I re-configured all my local LAN and stuff, still getting 300Mbps. I re-enable Circle and reset my phone app. Starts to add 10 devices-ish, I'm now down to 150Mbps (I had around 40 devices, seems the more devices the slower). Disable Circle (not even rebooting the router), back to 3000Mbps.

I like Circle, but if the router is not able to follow, I might buy the real Circle box.

Disappointing.

Model: R7000P | AC2300 Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 7 of 8
lmazuel
Guide

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation