Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

netgear wnr2000 v2 repeater

Laval
Aspirant

netgear wnr2000 v2 repeater

Good day - I presently use a netgear wnr834b v2 as my main router. I would like to add a wnr2000 to the system as a wifi repeater.

can this be done and how ?  Thank you

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: netgear wnr2000 v2 repeater

The wnr834b is ancient. At best, it can do 4 to 5 Mbps. Adding a repeater, which will cut speeds by 50%, will only lead to grief.

You should replace the router with something modern. That might give you the Wi-Fi coverage that you are looking for without the need for an extender. Extenders should only be used as a last resort.

A better way to extend Wi-Fi is to connect an Access Point (AP) to the router. This requires a wired connection between the AP and router, which may not always be practical. But if you have coax wiring, then that can be used as a substitute with MoCA adapters.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

The wnr834b is ancient. At best, it can do 4 to 5 Mbps. Adding a repeater, which will cut speeds by 50%, will only lead to grief.

You should replace the router with something modern. That might give you the Wi-Fi coverage that you are looking for without the need for an extender. Extenders should only be used as a last resort.

A better way to extend Wi-Fi is to connect an Access Point (AP) to the router. This requires a wired connection between the AP and router, which may not always be practical. But if you have coax wiring, then that can be used as a substitute with MoCA adapters.
Message 2 of 3
Laval
Aspirant

the issue stemmed from a need to connect a dlink camera to wifi - I will try the suggestion to renew my otherwise good gear. Thank you very much

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7