× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AMA - Ask Us Anything About ReadyNAS and You Could Win a ReadyNAS 214!

aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@pawbeeman wrote:
I understand generally what ReadyNAS is, but do you have a site that provides a simplistic description of what it is, including a graphical depiction of how it interfaces with all devices in the home network?

I think the product pages show what it's all about (with high level videos), also look at the solutions tab for diagrams.

Message 101 of 218
Blackflyjim
Aspirant

I just purchased a Nighthawk R7000 router in the hopes that it would play nice with my Ready NAS NV+ RND4000v3. I have had a lot of trouble over the years getting time machine to work reliably with the NAS. I was hoping that compatible equipment from Netgear would make this easier but so far my nighthawk doesn't specifically recognize the NV+.  Are there settings in the frontview that I can change to make the NAS more reliable? SHould I remove passwords or quotas?

thank you in advance

j

Model: ReadyNASRND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 102 of 218
wdunn
Aspirant

Is the ReadyNAS 102 (2bay) capable of using the WD Red 8TB drives (2x8TB) in RAID1 with the latest Firmware?

Specifically the WD Red 8TB with 256 cache.

If so, is there a specific process flow for building the disks?

Thanks

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 103 of 218
blindguy
Aspirant

Thanks for the contest! I'm curious where I would find what types of cameras the ReadyNAS surveillance supports?

Message 104 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@blindguy wrote:

Thanks for the contest! I'm curious where I would find what types of cameras the ReadyNAS surveillance supports?

Good news.

NETGEAR is just about to release a Milestone Arcus on ReadyNAS app on the community site.  It is downloadable from the ReadyNAS OS 6.8 admin UI.  

With that software, ReadyNAS supports all ONVIF cameras.  When you are shopping for a camera, make sure you select these two terms "IP", and "ONVIF".  The "Milestone Arcus on ReadyNAS" is a great surveillance video management software for the small businesses.

Good luck.

Message 105 of 218
voodoogts
Aspirant

Great to hear it will support IP cameras! It would be nice to have run along with my Lorex IP cameras.
Message 106 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@wdunn wrote:

Is the ReadyNAS 102 (2bay) capable of using the WD Red 8TB drives (2x8TB) in RAID1 with the latest Firmware?

Thanks

Yes, RN102 supports WD Red Drive.  There is no special process flow to follow.  Just following the admin UI to build the disks.

Just a word a caution, RN102 is no longer in production.  Some of the more advanced features may not run well on that model.  A great replacement is RN212.  You can use the same drive from RN102 for it so the incremental investment is contained.

Message 107 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@Blackflyjim wrote:

I just purchased a Nighthawk R7000 router in the hopes that it would play nice with my Ready NAS NV+ RND4000v3. I have had a lot of trouble over the years getting time machine to work reliably with the NAS. I was hoping that compatible equipment from Netgear would make this easier but so far my nighthawk doesn't specifically recognize the NV+.  Are there settings in the frontview that I can change to make the NAS more reliable? SHould I remove passwords or quotas?

thank you in advance

j

To be really honest, it is time to upgrade your NAS.  You just bought a modern router with 802.11ac technology, 3x3, dual band, all the great spec and all the great features.  I am really not sure if the ReadyNAS NV and RND4000 are good pairing for the router.  (Forgive me for using a word that will come up often over the weekend, pairing, like wine and cheese, or slim cut shirts and baggy jeans).

Message 108 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@douglas_cheung wrote:

@Blackflyjim wrote:

thank you in advance

j

To be really honest, it is time to upgrade your NAS.  You just bought a modern router with 802.11ac technology, 3x3, dual band, all the great spec and all the great features.  I am really not sure if the ReadyNAS NV and RND4000 are good pairing for the router.  (Forgive me for using a word that will come up often over the weekend, pairing, like wine and cheese, or slim cut shirts and baggy jeans).

A good entry model would be RN212.  That will do a great deal of Plex streaming, excellent backup of all your personal data, with built-in public cloud backup tools for Dropbox, Amazon Cloud (at this moment my personal favorite because of its unlimited capacity for a Prime account user), Google Drive, etc.  You connect a SLR camera to it by a USB port, the RN212 will suck all the photos and create a folder in the SHARE with a name suggestive of the camera.

All in all, a much, much better product and much better use of your time.

Good luck...

p.s.  If you are nuts about streaming, go for RN420s for multi-stream HD streaming; RN520s for 4k streaming.

Message 109 of 218
featherjade80
Aspirant

What does ReadyNAS 214 do and what does NAS stand for? Hey you said "Ask Us Anything"

Message 110 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@featherjade80 wrote:

What does ReadyNAS 214 do and what does NAS stand for? Hey you said "Ask Us Anything"

A NAS is a network attached storage, kind of like a USB HDD except that it is an intelligent device, can function independently of your PC, and can do a lot more, like media streaming, automatic data backup from PC, smartphone, automatic data backup to your public cloud account, etc. ,etc.

ReadyNAS 214 is a prosumer product with 4 hard drives in the device.  The 4 hard drives provide not just capacity, but redundancy so that any one HDD fails, your data is still good.

In short, ReadyNAS 214 makes you happy.  🙂

Message 111 of 218
WaywardTech
Aspirant

I see you guys have bit rot protection enabled on this unit and some others.  Could you give a bit of a technical explanation on how this works on your devices and how it differs or is superior to this sort of protection offered by other vendors?  Are there any real downside to having it enabled?

Message 112 of 218
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm thinking about using your ReadyNAS214 to host my iTunes library which currently has approx 800Gbs of data (AIFF encoded files)  with cover art pulled in by iTunes automatically and manually installed as well as Time Machine backups for my macs at home.

I have two questions:

1. Does Netgear require third-party software like "iTunes Server" for accessing the iTunes media folder from the NAS214 and if so, will your version allow cover art to display that's either automatically downloaded from the iTunes store or manually inserted by me?

2. Would it be possible (and recommended) to create two RAID 0 partitions spanning two drives each - one for my iTunes library and one for my TM backups on the NAS 214?

thanks!

BDA

Message 113 of 218
Chock3165
Aspirant

I'd like to know if there is a hookup for my house phone line because my phone is hookup up to my cable modem I've looking for a great modem so I can turn my other one in an save money
Message 114 of 218
wobegone
Aspirant

I have used my ReadyNAS Ultra 2 with my TiVo for the last 5 years.  Will Netgear continue support for TiVo device's going forward, on ReadyNAS 212 & 214 servers?  

Message 115 of 218
wfreker
Aspirant

Does this device support iTunes?
Message 116 of 218
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@blackdogaudio wrote:

1. Does Netgear require third-party software like "iTunes Server" for accessing the iTunes media folder from the NAS214 and if so, will your version allow cover art to display that's either automatically downloaded from the iTunes store or manually inserted by me? 

ReadyNAS does come with an iTunes server, but, you need to be careful here. It's not the same as Home Sharing like the desktop iTunes, instead it is a basic audio server support Apple's DAAP protocol - it can stream to iTunes running on a desktop, but it cannot stream to iDevices.

You can read more in the Netgear kb article here.

2. Would it be possible (and recommended) to create two RAID 0 partitions spanning two drives each - one for my iTunes library and one for my TM backups on the NAS 214?

Not sure why you'd do that, rather than have one volume (and with RAID protection)?

Message 117 of 218
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@aks wrote:

@blackdogaudio wrote:

ReadyNAS does come with an iTunes server, but, you need to be careful here. It's not the same as Home Sharing like the desktop iTunes, instead it is a basic audio server support Apple's DAAP protocol - it can stream to iTunes running on a desktop, but it cannot stream to iDevices.

You can read more in the Netgear kb article here.

Not sure why you'd do that, rather than have one volume (and with RAID protection)?

Tony,

First, thanks for the reply and link.

It's a shame it doesn't talk to iDevices but that's not a deal breaker as I'll mostly stream from my macs though possibly a Devialet Phantom system in the future. I'll speak with Devialet and see if they've got any expereince with ReadyNas storage systems however.  

My other concern was with iTunes cover art. I demoed a friend's Synology NAS that was up for sale and it couldn't retain some cover art whether downloaded automatically by iTunes or manually installed by the user. Completely hit or miss but definitley a deal breaker with a large library where  a visual search is better that weeding through thousands of album tiltles in text form. Evidentely it's a known issue with their third-party verrsion of "ITunes server" software. 

My bad, I meant RAID 1 not RAID 0. My thoughts were to configure the four drives into two volumes with Raid 1. This would give me a disk mirror for  my iTunes media folder and a separate one for TM backups. 

regards,

Dave  

Message 118 of 218
jmuston
Initiate

Any support for SSD caching?

Message 119 of 218
terrycloth
Guide

4x4TB (WD40EFRX-68WTON0) Raid 5.  I use WinSCP to transfer data between my Windows home network and NAS, use symbolic links to make iTunes backups work with the NAS - 1 link per kid on the PC:

net use Z:\ "\\<my-nas>\data" /user:admin <pw> /PERSISTENT:YES

mklink /d "C:\Users\<kid>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync" "Z:\RawBackups\iTunes\<kid>\MobileSync"

I installed Plex very easily and is very useful for my family.  I am hoping NetGear can provide configured and ready-to-use apps and instructions that make the ReadyNAS products useful for the consumer market.  Many other Netgear products are simple to own and use, and I am hoping you can make NAS accessible as well.  So my question is about making the ReadyNas useful as a network black box, without having to work under the covers and understand the insides before using basic utilities.

My question relates to apps offered with "explorer"-type features, including Ajaxplorer, AjaxPlorer 4, Bzeeet, and Pydio.  At the present time, these apps simply do not work out of the box.  Instead, they are more like developer widgets, with documentation and community threads that have 1-line answers with OS commands like CHMOD this or that.  There are no instructions on how to actually successfully set these widgets up to function as a way to search the NAS without looking under the hood, understanding each component, and guessing which package or feature to install, understanding what Netgear does when setting up shares, etc.

I realize NetGear does not control or document though these third party products, but I believe you could make your product much more usable (and therefore marketable) by filling in the gap, even if it means simply providing sets of user-friendly installation and configuration  guides for these apps.  I am talking about the type of guides that your marketing guy could successfully follow at home (sorry to anyone in marketing 😉 ).  So that means saying how to get to a command line if you have a command line step, and how to know if a feature is installed if it is required (rather than just saying package xyz is required).

So my simple question is this: What do you recommend I do to implement a simple search and explorer-type utility for my ReadyNas?

Thanks,

Dave

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 120 of 218
Joelfrancisco
Aspirant

2 questions:
1. Virtualization - Can it be used as an iSCSI target?
2. Desktop Backup App - Does it support Windows Server versions?
Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 121 of 218
DayHawkX6
Tutor

Hi,

This is regarding ReadyNAS 212 and product page states that it supports full HD 1080p transcoding capability. Is there any compatibility list of the supported formats? And what are recommended drives?

Model: ReadyNASRND2120|ReadyNAS Duo 2TB (2 X 1TB)
Message 122 of 218
wdunn
Aspirant

@douglas_cheung wrote:

@wdunn wrote:

Thanks

Yes, RN102 supports WD Red Drive.  There is no special process flow to follow.  Just following the admin UI to build the disks.

Just a word a caution, RN102 is no longer in production.  Some of the more advanced features may not run well on that model.  A great replacement is RN212.  You can use the same drive from RN102 for it so the incremental investment is contained.

The WD 8TB Red drives are synching now, ETA about 26 hours. The issue was they were preformatted.

I'm very confident I'll win the drawing for the Readynas 214. 🙂
On the off chance, I don't, what's the story on the ReadyNas 312? I'm seeing Out of Stock, and clearance on this item. I understand they have different processors (2core vs 4core), is there a reason to pick one over the other.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay,RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 123 of 218
ITSYSTEMS
Aspirant

HI Netgear,

How does the Ready NAS connect to the public cloud storage, or does Netgear provide cloud storage ?

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 124 of 218
LambdaBlue
Tutor

How much power does the nas use when it is idling?
Message 125 of 218
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7