× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AMA - Ask Us Anything About ReadyNAS and You Could Win a ReadyNAS 214!

mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@wdunn wrote:

what's the story on the ReadyNas 312? I'm seeing Out of Stock, and clearance on this item. I understand they have different processors (2core vs 4core), is there a reason to pick one over the other.

There is a new model the RN422 you could consider. The RN312 and RN422 use Intel processors. There are more apps available for the Intel platform and some features only work on our models with Intel CPUs. The RN422 and RN424 have dual-core CPUs whereas the RN426 and RN428 have quad-core CPUs.

Message 126 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@WaywardTech wrote:

I see you guys have bit rot protection enabled on this unit and some others.  Could you give a bit of a technical explanation on how this works on your devices and how it differs or is superior to this sort of protection offered by other vendors?  Are there any real downside to having it enabled?

Bit-rot protection protects against bit-rot media degradation. There are some good generic articles on this e.g. https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/01/bitrot-and-atomic-cows-inside-next-gen-filesy...

Our implementation uses the BTRFS filesystem and the md software RAID. md software RAID is mature and a much safer choice than BTRFS RAID.

We link enabling/disabling bit-rot protection to enabling/disabling CoW (Copy on Write) although they are two separate things. CoW is useful for some kinds of data (e.g. videos that don't change a lot) but with other kinds (e.g. databases, virtual machines with a huge number of writes in place) you'll get a lot of fragmentation and a big performance hit.

Bit-rot protection is part of a data protection strategy, but the most important part is backups. Don't store important data on just the one device, no matter what that device is. If the primary copy of important (e.g. irreplaceable) data is on the NAS then you need to backup that data.

Message 127 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@blackdogaudio wrote:

I'm thinking about using your ReadyNAS214 to host my iTunes library which currently has approx 800Gbs of data (AIFF encoded files)  with cover art pulled in by iTunes automatically and manually installed as well as Time Machine backups for my macs at home.

I have two questions:

1. We use forked-daapd for our iTunes Server. Some users prefer to leave iTunes running on their PC and use their PC as the server but store for the library for it on the NAS.

2. That's possible but not recommended. If either disk failed used by the RAID-0 volume all data on the volume would be lost. It'd be better to use a RAID level providing some redundancy e.g. the default X-RAID. The most likely hardware to fail is generally a disk.

Message 128 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Chock3165 the ReadyNAS is a Network Attached Storage device not a modem/router. You could ask your question in our CABLE MODEMS & ROUTERS section.

Message 129 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@wobegone wrote:

I have used my ReadyNAS Ultra 2 with my TiVo for the last 5 years.  Will Netgear continue support for TiVo device's going forward, on ReadyNAS 212 & 214 servers?  

There is TiVo support with OS6 (the OS that runs on our RN212 and RN214). See How do I create an archive of my TiVo data on my ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system?

Message 130 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@wfreker wrote:
Does this device support iTunes?

It runs forked-daapd for streaming to iTunes on your Mac/PC. This does have its limitations compared with running iTunes on your Mac/PC.

Message 131 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jmuston wrote:

Any support for SSD caching?

Not at this time. You could upvote this idea in the IDEA EXCHANGE FOR READYNAS

Message 132 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@terrycloth wrote:

So my simple question is this: What do you recommend I do to implement a simple search and explorer-type utility for my ReadyNas?

You may wish to try the new search feature in ReadyNAS OS 6.8.0 which is now available!

Please let us know how you find it.

Message 133 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Joelfrancisco wrote:
2 questions:
1. Virtualization - Can it be used as an iSCSI target?
2. Desktop Backup App - Does it support Windows Server versions?

1. We haven't got certification for the RN212 and RN214 but it might work. We'd recommend looking at our business range for this use case, possibly a RN520 series or RN620 series unit.

2. For backing up a server you should use 3rd party software designed for backing up servers to get the comprehensive backup that you need.

Message 134 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@DayHawkX6 wrote:

Hi,

This is regarding ReadyNAS 212 and product page states that it supports full HD 1080p transcoding capability. Is there any compatibility list of the supported formats? And what are recommended drives?

It will transcode from 1080p to a fixed output resolution of 480p. Every media file is different so YMMV a bit. Different formats may require more processing power than others. We'd be thinking of videos at a normal frame rate e.g. 25-30fps.

The disks are not the bottleneck for transcoding. You can use a disk from our compatibility list e.g. WD RED, SeaGate NAS etc. It's up to you which you prefer to use. Some disks are more suited to use in a NAS environment than others. I would avoid disks with "Green" features.

Message 135 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ITSYSTEMS wrote:

HI Netgear,

How does the Ready NAS connect to the public cloud storage, or does Netgear provide cloud storage ?

We've added support for using the NAS with some public cloud providers over time such as Dropbox, Google Drive, Amazon S3. You can configure this on the CLOUD tab.

If you'd prefer not to use the public cloud for some things you can use ReadyCLOUD to create your own private cloud. Using ReadyCLOUD the data would remain stored on your NAS rather than on a server out on the web. If a direct connection cannot be established between your NAS and a client device then your data may need to be sent via our server.

Message 136 of 218
Guide

Wann gibt es eine Version von Photo II die auch auf der aktuellsten Firmware problemlos läuft ?
Message 137 of 218
BlackWarrior666
Aspirant

Hi,

what kind of RAID is able to setup with 214?

Best regards

Message 138 of 218
KarenZ
Aspirant

Will the new ReadyNAS such as the 214 have any upgradeable features, such as the RAM or hard drive controller capability?

Message 139 of 218
nighthawk2k17
Aspirant

Does Netgear plan on letting users create apps for the ReadyNAS product line. If so, can you share more information of SDK availability.
Model: RN214D42|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 140 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@BlackWarrior666 wrote:

Hi,

what kind of RAID is able to setup with 214?

Best regards

RAID 0,1,5,6 and 10. Note RAID 5, 6 and 10 are not available on the 212 due to minimum number of disks requirements.

You can also use JBOD.

The default X-RAID uses RAID-1 with two disks and RAID-5 with 3 or more disks.

Message 141 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@KarenZ wrote:

Will the new ReadyNAS such as the 214 have any upgradeable features, such as the RAM or hard drive controller capability?

The RAM is soldered on on the RN214. The only user replaceable parts are the hard drives themselves.

You can replace the RAM in some of our higher end desktop models but doing so is not supported.

Message 142 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@nighthawk2k17 wrote:
Does Netgear plan on letting users create apps for the ReadyNAS product line. If so, can you share more information of SDK availability.

You can create apps. Have a look at the developer section at https://apps.readynas.com

We look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Message 143 of 218
loneal3
Aspirant

How does READYNAS work with Windows 10?

Message 144 of 218
terrycloth
Guide

Search is a great addition in 6.8.0.  Trying it now...

One thought - can you add the file path?

Assume the NAS is used to transfer data from multiple computers and devices from a family or business.  There are likely to be multiple ways files are organized, and duplication of data across backup folders.

With a path listed, I can then consolidate photos if I search of "*.jpg" and I see that these are in many places on the NAS.

With a path I can also de-duplicate files.  For example, my test search was for photos labelled "2016*.jpg".  If I see there are multiple copies of a particular photo, I need to be able to see the folder (s) containing the duplicates so I can clean up the NAS.

I can do this on a file by file basis with the current solution, but with many TB of data, this becomes difficult.

Nice addition, though!  It solved my primary problem  immediately.

Dave

Message 145 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@loneal3 wrote:

How does READYNAS work with Windows 10?

It works great with Windows 10.

Windows 10 has been around for a few years now.

Message 146 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@terrycloth wrote:

Search is a great addition in 6.8.0.  Trying it now...

One thought - can you add the file path?

Assume the NAS is used to transfer data from multiple computers and devices from a family or business.  There are likely to be multiple ways files are organized, and duplication of data across backup folders.

With a path listed, I can then consolidate photos if I search of "*.jpg" and I see that these are in many places on the NAS.

With a path I can also de-duplicate files.  For example, my test search was for photos labelled "2016*.jpg".  If I see there are multiple copies of a particular photo, I need to be able to see the folder (s) containing the duplicates so I can clean up the NAS.

I can do this on a file by file basis with the current solution, but with many TB of data, this becomes difficult.

Nice addition, though!  It solved my primary problem  immediately.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Nice suggestion.  We will explore that!

Doug

Message 147 of 218
Gatspud
Aspirant

What RAID types does it do? I would assume RAID 0,1, 10?, 5? If RAID 5 (for 3 drives) , does it support Hotspare for the 4th drive?
Also, do the 2 1Gbps interfaces support bonding?
Model: RN214D42|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 148 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Gatspud wrote:
What RAID types does it do? I would assume RAID 0,1, 10?, 5? If RAID 5 (for 3 drives) , does it support Hotspare for the 4th drive?

Yes. You could do RAID-6 too if you wanted. Using Flex-RAID you can create a volume and confgure a hot spare. Whichever RAID configuration you go with don't forget to backup. If data is stored on just the one device it's not backed up. RAID (except RAID-0) provides redundancy (your data should remain available in the event of a specified number of disk failures) but there's a range of issues that it won't protect against.

@Gatspud wrote:
Also, do the 2 1Gbps interfaces support bonding?

Yes

Message 149 of 218
wdunn
Aspirant

Using Raid-1, what the maximum disk size for each drive bay in the:

ReadyNas 102, 212, and the 312 two bay systems?  Seems like an easy question, but your marketing material/specs seems to vary.

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 150 of 218
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7