× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AMA - Ask Us Anything About ReadyNAS and You Could Win a ReadyNAS 214!

douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@wdunn wrote:

Using Raid-1, what the maximum disk size for each drive bay in the:

ReadyNas 102, 212, and the 312 two bay systems?  Seems like an easy question, but your marketing material/specs seems to vary.

Marketing people just can't keep up with the real world.  (No flame from the marketing type, please.)

When data sheets and marketing materials were made for the models cited above, the biggest drives were 6TB.  Now NTGR officially supports 10TB drives in ReadyNAS OS 6.  NTGR has not retroactively gone back and updated the maximum capacity of the systems.

Hope that helps.

Message 151 of 218
mvpd
Aspirant

If I purchase a ReadyNAS will I experience the same horrendous support as I receive with my switch gear, or will this be handled by a different department?

Message 152 of 218
dirty_elf
Aspirant

Can the ReadyNAS 214 be used in conjunction with a xxx.mynetgear.com ddns account to access my files from anywhere?

Message 153 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mvpd wrote:

If I purchase a ReadyNAS will I experience the same horrendous support as I receive with my switch gear

If you'd like to PM me a case number(s) I can ask for it to be reviewed. We maintain high standards with our support, but we're always looking to see if there are things we can do better.

You can utilise the community to seek advice from your fellow users as well as use the support that you're entitled to. If you're not happy with the support you're receiving I can ask for your support case to be reviewed.

Message 154 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@dirty_elf wrote:

Can the ReadyNAS 214 be used in conjunction with a xxx.mynetgear.com ddns account to access my files from anywhere?

Not quite the same thing but you can use ReadyCLOUD to access your files from anywhere. There are community apps such as OwnCloud that you could use if you prefer.

Message 155 of 218
mvpd
Aspirant

Since I can't figure out how to PM you... Case 33755564

Message 156 of 218
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It's actually fairly simple: click on the persons name in the thread, e.g. mdgm, then half way down the laft of the screen you should see a "contact me", and there you should see "send this user a private message".

Message 157 of 218
Danila
Aspirant

hi!

what can possibly convince me to switch to new model from my current model ? (RN 10400)

Best regards,

Danila

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 158 of 218
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Danila wrote:

what can possibly convince me to switch to new model from my current model ? (RN 10400)

Well, do you have any specific issues with your RN104? Likely not, so perhaps a consider the main difference - the RN214 will offer significantly more performance, both file handling and the ability to transcode video files on the fly. If neither of these are important to you, then the RN104 might just be the right unit for you today, and therefore wait a bit longer until there is a compeling reason to change. Of course Netgear might have a 'desire' for you to upgrade, but that's just business Smiley Happy!

Message 159 of 218
Charlesb224
Tutor

I'm in the market for a new NAS.  I currently have an old RND2000 (Duo V1) and a RN102

Funnily enough, I'm considering the RN214, which is the subject of this sweepstake.  I have a separate Intel NUC box which currently handles my CCTV needs via a Windows based Software platform, which is not the most ideal.  I would have liked to migrate this to my new NAS, but the disproportionate costs of the licensing are putting me off the RN214.  However, another piece of this is whether Dual NIC would enable me to utilise the RN214 on a separate network if there is no Gateway/Router.  That is to say, that the 2nd NIC would be connected to an unmanaged switch which is also connected to the IP Cameras in use, all using a separate Network Subnet. Would the RN214 be able to 'route' to the separate Subnet from the main subnet?

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 160 of 218
Guide

Welche Nas von Netgear ist zu Empfehlen , um zufrieden zu sein , für längere Zeit.

1. Für Privat

2.Von der Leistung

3.Und den Verfügbaren APPS

4.Natürlich soll das Preis Leistungsverhältnis stimmen

(Also nicht zu teuer für Privat)

MFG. 3100

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 161 of 218
David-YKS
Tutor

If one has a 4 bay ReadyNAS system and has two bays with 6TB HDDs in these two bays and the other two are empty, can one install the 10TB HDDs in them at a later date and the 6TB and 10TB HDDs will function together in the the ReadyNAS?  As the size of NAS HDDs increase, will the ReadyNAS systems be able to accept the larger HDDs?

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204 4-Bay
Message 162 of 218
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@David-YKS wrote:

If one has a 4 bay ReadyNAS system and has two bays with 6TB HDDs in these two bays and the other two are empty, can one install the 10TB HDDs in them at a later date and the 6TB and 10TB HDDs will function together in the the ReadyNAS?  As the size of NAS HDDs increase, will the ReadyNAS systems be able to accept the larger HDDs?

Generally, inserting larger driver later on in to empty slots automatically expands an x-raid configured system. The capacity can be considered using the online sizing tool. Make sure you check the drive compatibility, but basically several 6TB and 10TB drives are supported.

Message 163 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mvpd wrote:

Since I can't figure out how to PM you... Case 33755564

I'll send you a PM (private message) shortly. I just talked to a colleague and he informed me that your case has already been flagged for review.

Message 164 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Danila wrote:

hi!

Best regards,

Danila

The 104 is good as a basic file server or backup storage where speed is not a concern. Once you want to do more than that you'll really benefit from using a more powerful unit.

I want our ReadyNAS customers to be happy. If you're happy with how your NAS is performing and what it can do now you don't have to rush into upgrading.

In my opinion it's better to choose a unit that is more powerful than what you need than to choose one that's not powerful enough.

I started out as a ReadyNAS customer before I joined NETGEAR. If I was buying a unit for myself now I'd buy the RN628X. At the same time I know the performance of that unit, the 8-bays and the price is way overkill for most home users and will remain so for years to come. I'm not the average user. We have a wide range of units to suit various needs.

You can just move your disks across to the RN214 (it is advisable to get both units up to the same firmware first, put a scratch disk in the RN214, update the firmware if necessary, verify the firmware update was successful, power down both units, remove the scratch disk and move the disks across keeping the order the same).

If you want to move to an Intel model (e.g. RN424) then I'd suggest uninstalling any apps you've got installed first.

It's nice to know that you can move your disks to a newer ReadyNAS model when the time is right for you to upgrade whether it's now or later (of course it's best to check back when you do decide to upgrade to make sure that's still the case).

Message 165 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@3100 wrote:

Welche Nas von Netgear ist zu Empfehlen , um zufrieden zu sein , für längere Zeit.

1. Für Privat

2.Von der Leistung

3.Und den Verfügbaren APPS

4.Natürlich soll das Preis Leistungsverhältnis stimmen

(Also nicht zu teuer für Privat)

MFG. 3100

If being able to use a wide range of apps are important to you I'd personally look at the RN420 series, RN520 series and RN620 series. You'll find a greater range of apps work on the x86 units. It really depends on your budget and what features, performance etc. you're after which way to go.

Message 166 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@David-YKS wrote:

As the size of NAS HDDs increase, will the ReadyNAS systems be able to accept the larger HDDs?

We won't know for sure whether higher capacity disks than what are currently available work till they're available so we can test them in current models. It's possible there could be software/hardware compatibility issues. If there are software issues they may be addressable by a firmware update. If there's a hardware compatibility issue then it could be time to get a new NAS.

@David-YKS wrote:

If one has a 4 bay ReadyNAS system and has two bays with 6TB HDDs in these two bays and the other two are empty, can one install the 10TB HDDs in them at a later date and the 6TB and 10TB HDDs will function together in the the ReadyNAS? 

Yes. Using X-RAID you'll get horizontal expansion when you add the first 10TB disk and after adding the second 10TB disk you'll get some more horizontal expansion, plus vertical expansion. X-RAID can only expand when redundant space can be added to the volume. So 2x6TB and 1x10TB disk will give you the same volume capacity as 3x6TB disks, but 2x6TB + 2x10TB disks will give you a higher capacity volume than 4x6TB disks.

Message 167 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Charlesb224 wrote:

I'm in the market for a new NAS.  I currently have an old RND2000 (Duo V1) and a RN102

Funnily enough, I'm considering the RN214, which is the subject of this sweepstake.  I have a separate Intel NUC box which currently handles my CCTV needs via a Windows based Software platform, which is not the most ideal.  I would have liked to migrate this to my new NAS, but the disproportionate costs of the licensing are putting me off the RN214.  However, another piece of this is whether Dual NIC would enable me to utilise the RN214 on a separate network if there is no Gateway/Router.  That is to say, that the 2nd NIC would be connected to an unmanaged switch which is also connected to the IP Cameras in use, all using a separate Network Subnet. Would the RN214 be able to 'route' to the separate Subnet from the main subnet?

This question does leave a lot of return questions to clarify your request. It might be best to open a new thread and provide a link to it here so we can follow up with you on this.

Message 168 of 218
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Charlesb224

What licensing costs of the 214 are you mentioning? I was not sure from your post.

To answer your question regarding the Dual NIC... The ReadyNAS itself can be on two networks at once, one network that you have an umannaged switch and cameras with static IP, and the other network is your main network. Software like Milestone Arcus on ReadyNAS (MAoR) can find cameras on your unmanaged switch network, and you can access Milestone from your main network to view your cameras. You, on a computer on your main network, cannot route from your main network to your unmanaged network through the RN214, though. 

MAoR is not supported on RN214; it is minimally supported on RN31x or RN42x.  

Hope this helps 🙂

Message 169 of 218
mpartipilo
Aspirant

What's the best advice you can give on upgrading from an old ReadyNAS model to a newer one and preserve all many TBs of data, users and addons?
Message 170 of 218
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@mpartipilo wrote:
What's the best advice you can give on upgrading from an old ReadyNAS model to a newer one and preserve all many TBs of data, users and addons?

Probably best to start with specifying which old model you have, as it can make a significant difference?

Message 171 of 218
mpartipilo
Aspirant

Sorry I can't update the original reply anymore. I have 2 ReadyNAS at home. The DUO is not used anymore because it's too loud, though I could use it if necessary. The Ultra 2 is my main NAS. I am considering upgrading to a more recent NAS with more bays. I certainly wouldn't mind winning one in some contest *wink wink*.

Model: ReadyNASRND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only,ReadyNASRNDU2000|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Chassis only
Message 172 of 218
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@mpartipilo wrote:

Sorry I can't update the original reply anymore. I have 2 ReadyNAS at home. The DUO is not used anymore because it's too loud, though I could use it if necessary. The Ultra 2 is my main NAS. I am considering upgrading to a more recent NAS with more bays. I certainly wouldn't mind winning one in some contest *wink wink*.

Yes, winning the new unit is on all our thoughts ;).

I think you will need to migrate to the new unit, meaning setting it up from scratch and copying the data across. I don't believe you can swap the disks, certainly not from the Duo.

I'd use the Duo to secure a full backup. Check it thoroughly. Then migrate the data to the new unit using the backup jobs - file ownership can be transferred, but you need to set the users up on the new nas. There is a setting to set the user id, and to preserve ownership you will need to do that as you create the users on the new nas. To get in to more details, open a new thread in the backup section to keep the discussion less cluttered.

Message 173 of 218
Charlesb224
Tutor

The licensing costs for the 214 are for the ReadyNAS Surveillance Camera Licenses @ £180 for 4 roughly.  I used to have a dedicated NVR for my cameras, which died earlier this year, I replaced it with a Intel NUC using a quad core 1.5Ghz processor and 2GB RAM.  The issue I have is mainly disk related.  I did try an use the Surveillance software on my RN102 with the single license as a trial, but frankly it wouldn't work with my IP Cameras.

I looked at Milestone Arcus (Windows) version.  Currently I'm using Dahua SmartPSS PC-NVR software (FREE!) for my 4 IP Cameras, and I determined that Arcus was no better.

What I'm looking to do is setup the NAS (With dual NIC's) with an iSCSI volume and have the Intel NUC Read/Write to that iSCSI share rather than to it's internal 2.5" disk.  Sounds like it's possible with a separate network

Message 174 of 218
wellbuttie
Aspirant

Are there any Apps compatible with ReadyNas that allow the normalisation / compression and/or pre EQ of music audio file stored before transport to an AVR?

Message 175 of 218
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7