× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AMA - Ask Us Anything About ReadyNAS and You Could Win a ReadyNAS 214!

chriswal
Aspirant

Hi,

Are there ReadyNAS available certified for VMWare or HyperV?

Message 176 of 218
dsm1212
Apprentice

How does the 214 CPU compare to the CPU in the PRO 6 I have now?

Message 177 of 218
nukie
Guide

Can ReadyNas 214 backup to drives that is connected to Netgear R7000 Router? Or other netgear routers.

Message 178 of 218
Charlesb224
Tutor

I'm close to a buying decision,  seeing that I'm at 94% usage on my Duo! (or maybe win the one on offer here - who knows! Smiley Wink )  I'm more inclined to the RN212, but a 214 would be a nice upgrade!

Last question.  Do the RN212/RN214 models support the latest 6TB drives from Toshiba (N300 - HDWN160UZSVA for example)?

Message 179 of 218
Whatten
Aspirant

Can Type of Solid state drive can I use with this device?

Message 180 of 218
LCATech
Aspirant

I created a backup job  on the ReadyNAS.  On completion its choices to send an e-mail are "Errors Only", "Full Backup Logs", and "Status and Errors".  Is there any way to blank out this field and never get an e-mail?

(I actually have a number of different external drives and created a job for each one.  One job will succeed every day but the rest will fail and send me error reports of that failure.  It would be great not to see those errors.)

Thanks.

Model: ReadyNASRNDP4220|ReadyNAS Pro 4 4TB (2 x 2TB Enterprise)
Message 181 of 218
ljung
Tutor

Is it possible to automatically sync video from Arlo cams to readynas?
Message 182 of 218
Demon666
Guide

About the ReadyNAS 214.

Way back in time I once ran into the bad luck my ReadyNAS Ultra2 unit itself crashed.
Back then that meant you were in bad luck as Raidiator apparently wrote part of it's information onto the disks in the system that were system specific and rendered the disk useless in a new ReadyNAS Ultra2. The only way I was able to retrieve the data on the disks which were in a RAID1 setup is also one which isn't much of an option for people with less IT knowledge. I used VMWare, a Linux-distro (forgot which one) and was able to access the data and restore it from one of the drives to the other in a new ReadyNAS Ultra2, which was wiped the minute you insert the disk into the unit.

My question is this: what are the options we have in case of a full ReadyNAS 214 system failure like described above?
Hopefully we can just move the disks to the new unit in the correct bay order.
Sort of just like that, without the necessity to do this one disk at a time.
Don't forget the fact that in (my) case (of) a ReadyNAS 214 full system crash a 4x 4TB in RAID5 means a potential 11,9TB of data loss when you can't move these disks from the dead unit to a new one without blinking an eye.

Personally I can't afford the risk of that amount of data loss which is why I bought the thing in the first place ;-).
Nor is it much of an option (for me) to buy 4 brand new 4TB (or larger) disks in one go, they are kinda unpleasantly costly still.. :'(

Is there anything extremely clever up in the sleeves of Netgear development guys that can avoid the dataloss and just move the disks from one unit to a new one?

Best regards!

Message 183 of 218
getconnected
Aspirant

I'll be honest, I'm only posting for the chance to win.

Can I use this as more storage for my DirecTV DVR?

Model: ReadyNASRN12G0620|ReadyNAS 4200 12TB (6 X 2TB Enterprise)
Message 184 of 218
voodoogts
Aspirant

no

Message 185 of 218
Keith_N
NETGEAR Expert

We offer our compatibility list

https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List

each of these drives have been tested in their respective devices and we know they work well.

Message 186 of 218
Keith_N
NETGEAR Expert

Because each Ready NAS has the same OS on it, they all can do replication. This can be done from one Ready NAS to another or from your Smart phone to the Ready NAS.  On you phone just download the Ready Cloud app. and set up Media back up. point it from your phone to your Ready NAS and hit start.   I  was 4000 miles away from my Ready NAS last week and did this exact thing. Worked well.  30 min. to transfer 200 pictures.  Now the only question is how much storage do you need?

Message 187 of 218
Charlesb224
Tutor

@Keith_N wrote:

We offer our compatibility list

https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List

each of these drives have been tested in their respective devices and we know they work well.

Keith

The 6TB N300 Toshiba disk is NOT Listed ...  Hence my question.  The Compatibility list is ... not up to date with drives which have been out fo >4months...Both QNAP &  Synology have certified them.. why have Netgear not done so?

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/images/local/en_EU/TEE/Compatibility/Compatibility_Info_Toshiba_N300_EN.pdf...

Message 188 of 218
Keith_N
NETGEAR Expert

If anything it might be a little on the light side for video recording from cameras.  It really depends on how many camera's, How large the processor and Ram are in the Ready NAS and how much storage you need for those recordings. Example the RN214 has Marvell quad core processor 1.4 GHz  with 2 gig of Ram.... The 422 (same number of bays but build for this type of thing) has a Intel Atom C338 Dual Core with 2Gig DDR Ram.  This unit would be more compatible with Onvif type cameras and would support our newest software for NVR systems Milestone Arcus.

Message 189 of 218
Keith_N
NETGEAR Expert

Not currently.  The Arlo camera's do not support the abiltiy to store images to a local NAS device.

Message 190 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mpartipilo wrote:
What's the best advice you can give on upgrading from an old ReadyNAS model to a newer one and preserve all many TBs of data, users and addons?

Well that depends on which model you want to go from and to. We can advise you on whether that's a good idea or whether a different new model would be a better fit if you can give us some info on what you want to do with the new NAS.

Edit: Ah, I see aks already answered this. If the old unit running RAIDiator is still working then getting a new NAS with new disks and using backup jobs to copy the data across would be best. From your Ultra you'd use this: How do I back up data from a RAIDiator 4 system to a ReadyNAS OS 6 system?

Message 191 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@chriswal wrote:

Hi,

Are there ReadyNAS available certified for VMWare or HyperV?

Yes we've got VMWare certification for some models. Have a look at our Business models. It depends on how many VMs you want and what they'll be used for as to which model to get.

We have some KB articles on how to set up ESXi. You can use NFS or iSCSI.

Message 192 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@dsm1212 wrote:

How does the 214 CPU compare to the CPU in the PRO 6 I have now?

The 214 is ARM whereas the Pro 6 has an x86 CPU. The logical upgrade from the Pro 6 would be a 520 series or 620 series unit. If you only need 4 bays then a RN524X.

Depending on what you want to do the RN524X could be overkill. What do you use your Pro 6 for now and what would you use your new NAS for?

Message 193 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@nukie wrote:

Can ReadyNas 214 backup to drives that is connected to Netgear R7000 Router? Or other netgear routers.

Not sure why you'd want to do that when you can connect one directly to the NAS. Provided the router shares it over SMB I think that should be possible however the samba code on routers is often a lot older than that on our ReadyNAS. I haven't tested this.

I don't think the Orbi supports USB storage at this time. 

Message 194 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Charlesb224 wrote:

The 6TB N300 Toshiba disk is NOT Listed ...  Hence my question.  The Compatibility list is ... not up to date with drives which have been out fo >4months...Both QNAP &  Synology have certified them.. why have Netgear not done so?

Disks not on the list either haven't completed testing, have not been tested or have been found to have compatibility issues. I can try to find out where things are at with these disks.

Message 195 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Whatten wrote:

Can Type of Solid state drive can I use with this device?

The RN214 is a home device at the cost effective end of our range. Keith linked to our compatibility list above. Both 2.5" and 3.5" disks can be installed.

If you're wanting to use SSDs I would go for a more powerful ReadyNAS unit. Our 520 series and 620 series have one/more 10gig ports and will provide the most benefit from using SSDs.

Message 196 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@LCATech wrote:

I created a backup job  on the ReadyNAS.  On completion its choices to send an e-mail are "Errors Only", "Full Backup Logs", and "Status and Errors".  Is there any way to blank out this field and never get an e-mail?

Thanks for the suggestion. Is this with your Pro? Or with a newer ReadyNAS unit. The Pro was discontinued some years ago now. We're not adding new features to RAIDiator-x86 anymore but rather critical security fixes.

Message 197 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Demon666 wrote:

About the ReadyNAS 214.

Way back in time I once ran into the bad luck my ReadyNAS Ultra2 unit itself crashed.
Back then that meant you were in bad luck as Raidiator apparently wrote part of it's information onto the disks in the system that were system specific and rendered the disk useless in a new ReadyNAS Ultra2. The only way I was able to retrieve the data on the disks which were in a RAID1 setup is also one which isn't much of an option for people with less IT knowledge. I used VMWare, a Linux-distro (forgot which one) and was able to access the data and restore it from one of the drives to the other in a new ReadyNAS Ultra2, which was wiped the minute you insert the disk into the unit.

The NAS stores the OS, config and logs on a separate partition on the disks. If the RN214 unit fails you can move the disks to an empty OS6 model.

With your Ultra 2 you could move the disks from a dead unit to an empty RAIDiator-x86 unit (you can also move the disks from the Ultra 2 to an x86 OS6 unit for the purpose of data recovery following a set of instructions, note the RN214 is ARM so not an option for this). If you add a disk to a Ultra 2 unit with a disk already in it the disk you add while the NAS is on will be wiped. If you add the disk while the NAS is off the system will likely fail to boot.

On OS6 models we are much more cautious about wiping disks, but still you should be moving disks to an empty unit.

In any case if the problem is e.g. a full OS partition that will remain when moving the disk to a new unit. There are methods support has to look into problems like that with the appropriate support contract in place. You could find someone on the community can give suggestions if you have an issue like that.

@Demon666 wrote:

Don't forget the fact that in (my) case (of) a ReadyNAS 214 full system crash a 4x 4TB in RAID5 means a potential 11,9TB of data loss when you can't move these disks from the dead unit to a new one without blinking an eye.

Well there's a reason that we put so much time into backup features. RAID is not a replacement for backups. If data's important to you don't store it in just one place no matter what that place is. I have important data on multiple ReadyNAS units not just one. Some backup to the Cloud, USB etc. There are options.

RAID provides some protection against some problems but it doesn't protect against any and every possible problem.

@Demon666 wrote:

Personally I can't afford the risk of that amount of data loss which is why I bought the thing in the first place ;-).
Nor is it much of an option (for me) to buy 4 brand new 4TB (or larger) disks in one go, they are kinda unpleasantly costly still.. :'(

Ultimately it's up to you to manage your appetite for risk. We can provide advice. Ultimately I would only advise what I'd consider a sensible thing to do with my own data. I've had some unpleasant data loss experiences before I got a ReadyNAS and I'm keen to avoid others having those issues.

Demon666 wrote:

Is there anything extremely clever up in the sleeves of Netgear development guys that can avoid the dataloss and just move the disks from one unit to a new one?

Migration from one NAS unit to another has been possible for several years and it works well with Ultra 2 to Ultra 2. It going smoothly relies on the disks, OS, RAID and volume all being fine which may not be the case.

If your laptop doesn't boot, but the problem is a full hard disk, or a failing hard disk or some other kind of issue with/on the disk then putting the disk in another laptop isn't going to resolve the problem in itself. The same is true with moving disks from one ReadyNAS to another.

Message 198 of 218
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@wellbuttie wrote:

Are there any Apps compatible with ReadyNas that allow the normalisation / compression and/or pre EQ of music audio file stored before transport to an AVR?

What are you trying to achieve? Drop them in a special directory for automated conversion or manually select files to be converted? Or maybe even run a scheduled task over his music library? Are you wanting to keep the originals or remove them?...

Message 199 of 218
Aquila76
Tutor

Can you run a RAID 1 0 array with this? What's the recommended largest drive for this layout?
Message 200 of 218
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7