× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Circle with Disney Parental Controls On Orbi WiFi Systems Coming Soon

fargozhu
Tutor

I just bougth the Orbi and I am returning back tomorrow 'cause paying 5 euros/month for something that other brands offers for free it's a scam!

Even my old linksys router supports parental control...indeed without the nice circles 🙂

Message 26 of 38
BretD
Admin

@fargozhu wrote:

I just bougth the Orbi and I am returning back tomorrow 'cause paying 5 euros/month for something that other brands offers for free it's a scam!

Even my old linksys router supports parental control...indeed without the nice circles 🙂

I'm sorry you feel that way. It is in no way a "scam".  We've worked hard to ensuring it has some great out-of-the-box value. Being able to use an app to pause the Internet and filter size is very useful. You might consider doing a side by side comparisons of our full set of free feature set vs. others and make a decision based on that. Even without our Circle Family controls the Orbi its one of the fastest WiFi Systems available. 

Message 27 of 38
franktribe
Apprentice

I just got the Orbi AC300. I am attempting to enable Circle per the instructions on the Netgear website. I get to the point in the Circle app where it says updating firmware and then it says that forever. Router version is V2.0.1.4 and there is no other update available when I hit update firmware on the router in the web interface of the router. Ideas?

Message 28 of 38
franktribe
Apprentice

So, I read on the forums that you have to manually load the 2.1 firmware to get Circle (would been good to know but apparently the marketing team wanted to advertise it before it was mainstream). But when reading the thread about the 2.1 firmware it seems that it reboots often or requires rebooting often due to freeze ups. Doesn't seem to be mainstream yet. 

Message 29 of 38
franktribe
Apprentice

Thought I would update where I am with all of this and hopefully provide some facts.

I was able to upgrade my firmware to 2.1.2.18. This includes the ability to enable Disney Circle. So far, I have not experienced any issues with the firmware for basic wireless and internet.

Now on to the Disney Circle functionality.

It includes, FOR FREE, a basic Disney Circle package that allows you to use prebuilt filters for Pre-K, Kids, Teens, Adults, and None. Within those pre-built filters you can customize them even more, they include platforms like Facebook, Snapchat, etc. in addition there are safety filters like Safe Search on Google, YouTube Restricted, etc. Plus, you have category filters for websites like gambling, Proxies, etc. Plus, you can add custom filters for websites/domains. The pre-built stuff is pretty good. You create profiles for each person then assign devices to that person (identifying the devices takes a little time and I had to use the Orbi Admin to help me). You can pause the Internet for everyone or just an individual or even just a device. You can also assign your smart devices (like cameras, Smart devices, etc.) to a home profile so they aren't filtered. You can view the history of a person based on all of the devices you assign to them. I created a separate profile for the Xbox so I can control that differently from a person. And I also created a profile for my Smart TVs so I can control them differently from a person. That's pretty much what you get for Free with Orbi.

Now, the controversial part, is that they offer Circle Premium for $4.99 a month. This is where they allow you to set bed-times, see usage (as opposed to history, it’s different), more filtering options, set time limits, rewards, and connect to other services. I haven’t enabled the premium features because I wanted to see if the basic was enough. And so far, I think it is enough for my family (4 boys, two of which are teens). The bed times are the only thing I would like but, we just make sure they don’t have the devices in their rooms and we put them in a central location before bedtime (to charge and close to where we can see if they sneak them J ).

As for mobile devices, I use a different tool called OurPact. It is essentially a personal/family-based MDM (Mobile Device Management) solution. It allows me to control the mobile devices (turn on and off apps based on times, etc. but, not web filtering except to “not allow explicit websites”, an Apple function).  I might look at CircleGo but don’t know that I want to pay more.

I am also considering just getting a Circle device instead of paying the $4.99 a month, it would be cheaper in the long run. But, for now I am using the free basic service with Orbi and I like it. We will see as time goes on.

Hope this helps.

To summarize, I like my Orbi. I am glad I purchased it. But, I came from using Apple network gear which is not nearly as good and more expensive (if you add extra Airports for coverage).

Thanks,

Chris

Message 30 of 38
TeddyOH
Guide

The most useful review on this thread by Frank. He gets it.

I just dumped my traditional router for Orbi. 100% of the reason for choosing Orbi is the performance of the system. Every review clearly states it is #1 as a MESH solution, and they are correct. There isn't anything else close for a larger home. Trust me, I have tried many router, extender, dual router and MESH options.

That being said, the parental controls are actually a nice bonus. I had looked at Circle for a year, but just couldn't bring myself to set up a new account and buy a piece of hardware. The fact that it was integrated into Orbi is great. All you do is sign up.

Frank gave an excellent account of the free Circle features. That is good enough for 99% of parents, and better than any other router parental controls I have used. It's also better than a couple subscription services I have tried due to ease of use.

My one complaint was touched on above. The basic features (pause internet, filter content and services by age, monitor usage) are great. I wish Netgear/Disney would offer an option to install the basic features on 4G/LTE using the MDM/VPN solution. I just want to extend the basic features to my kids' phones when not on WiFi. Call it Circle Go Light! I would happily pay $4.99/mo for that, but it is a bit of price gouging to require $4.99/mo to ENABLE THE ABILITY to pay extra for Circle Go!

I respectfully request that you offer this in a future update. Just do it an squash the competition!

Message 31 of 38
Ghostfearone
Initiate

Re: Circle with Disney Parental Controls On Orbi WiFi Systems Now Available

Who thinks make you pay $5 monthly fee to use your router is a good idea? F Netgear. You will not be able to control your own kids internet time unless you pay a premium. They removed this feature in all their softwares to force you to buy monthly subscription on Disney Circle app. I will never buy any Netgear product again.
Message 32 of 38
TeddyOH
Guide

Well. My prior reply is now bracketed by posts on 2 extremes!

I will make 1 response to this negative reply, and only 1. It is entirely incorrect in its facts.

1) Orbi router is free to use.
You don’t have to pay “$5 monthly fee to use your router. Furthermore, unlike other MESH routers, you don’t need an account, or constant connection to use! (cough, Google, cough). You are buying a router here folks. I still guess greater than 90% of people who have routers use ZERO parental controls.

2) For those of us who do... You have robust parental controls for FREE.
You can use the standard Netgear parental controls (which they did not remove), or Disney Circle (which they added as an option). Both for free.

3) You CAN control kids internet time for free. Each device or profile in Circle has a GREAT BIG PAUSE BUTTON. For free. Use it. And if that’s too much trouble, yes, you can pay $4.99 to have automatic time limits if you prefer.

I’m not sure what free service you have used to control your kids if they have a phone. There are none. Kids with a phone no matter the age quickly find out that turning off WiFi gets around ANY router restrictions. So I for one am glad that Circle Go exists. It extends all features to mobile devices regardless of connection.

It’s a great option. I just wish I didn’t have to pay $4.99 twice to be able to use it. $10 a month is a little pricey compared to some of the competitors. However, Circle is the best and easiest to use compared to what’s out there.

Please note that NONE of the options for parental controls are offered by router companies either!!!! Routers provide controls for their network. So that alone pretty much torpedos the prior reply.
Message 33 of 38
Ghostfearone
Initiate

My beef is #3. My Asus and Synolocy router allows scheduled internet time FOR FREE in router control. It is a very standard function that you do not have to pay for. If you have kids, you don't have time to constantly turn on and off the internet by using an app (for free). That is like saying you can record a tivo show every single time the show comes on and you just need to push a BIG record button. Why you need to do that in this computer age?! Like I said, for parents, do not buy this router or any other Netgear router with this Circle integration. You will be forced to pay for $5 monthly fee to use it to control internet time of your kids. 

Message 34 of 38
carimina
Tutor

So, I have an Orbi and I enabled the premium features for Disney Circle and I am paying $4.99/month for that and then I saw that Disney Circle Go came out and I enabled that as well, that is another $4.99/month. Can I cancel premium and will Circle Go be sufficient? I shouldn't be paying twice for the same features

Message 35 of 38
Jeffrey0707
Guide

The Orbi is one of the most expensive routers on the market, albeit with high-end functionality. Unfortunately, however, with the introduction of the firmware v 2.1.1.12, parental controls beyond basic filtering cost an additional $4.99 per month via Disney Circle (http://www.netgear.co.uk/landings/circle/). Even as I write this, I cannot believe that Netgear is expecting its customers to pay for functionality that other manufacturers include as standard.  Shame on you NetGear - Shame on you!!

Message 36 of 38
Jeffrey0707
Guide

The Orbi is one of the most expensive routers on the market, albeit with high-end functionality. Unfortunately, however, with the introduction of the firmware v 2.1.1.12, parental controls beyond basic filtering cost an additional $4.99 per month via Disney Circle.  Even as I write this, I cannot believe that Netgear is expecting its customers to pay for functionality that other manufacturers include as standard.  Shame on you NetGear - Shame on you!!  TIme for we parents to move on to another manufacturer.

Message 37 of 38
raven_au
Virtuoso

@@@@TeddyOH wrote:
Well. My prior reply is now bracketed by posts on 2 extremes!

I will make 1 response to this negative reply, and only 1. It is entirely incorrect in its facts.

This thread is fairly old now but I'd like to add a point I think has not been covered. I have a Circle Home device which I can use to avoid the premium subscription if I wish but the choice of whether to use the router built in Circle or the Circle Home device isn't straight formward becuase ...

4) Using router built in Circle allows for more efficient filtering and resolves possible throughput limitations of using a Circle Home device.

The Circle Home device uses 2.4GHz wireless or an ethernet connection to the router. The Circle Home wireless appears fairly poor and looks like it struggles to sync at even 100Mbps let alone actual throughput and the ethernet port is 100 Mbps.

Since the traffic of filtered devices must pass through the Circle Home device the effective maximum capacity of the router internet connection is restricted  to 50Mbps!

I do think it's good that a large portion of the Circle functionality is free to use and I do think it's fair that Netgear can recoupe development costs and possibly pay some sort of royalty fee to the Circle company by offering extended features but I also think the cost is too high. The AU$7.50 plus the AU$7.50 Circle Go (compared to the AU$7.00 using Circle Home) is I think one of, if not the most, expensive subscription service for parental control available.

Message 38 of 38
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7