× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors

About posted ideas in general

Hello my name is Peter and I posted some requests about essential functions on the GS1xxE series of switches.

It seems there have been some ideas posted here but there is no respons whether these things are being

implemented or not or any timeframe given.

I personally had a request about adding a menu in the GS1XXE switches to enter some allowed mac addresses to prevent

a user to connect some rogue equipment on the network.

Could it be that the chipset does not support such functionality!

Couldn't you post back that the engineers are working with this, this and this function and it will be ready in 1-3 months or something.

Anyways a definitive answer would be appreciated so that I may peruse other brands that has similar 5-port switches.

Regards

Peter

6 Comments
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Midaz,

The ideas posted by the community members in the Idea Exchange Board are being read by NETGEAR engineers/developers.  However, I apologize if there is no feedback coming from them. 

About your feature request, I agree that it is not present on the GS1XXE switch.  However, this feature which is called Port Security is present on the NETGEAR Smart switches like the GS108Tv2 and GS110TP.  Kindly read pages 5-37 to 5-41 of the GS108T/GS110TP Smart Switch software administration manual here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Midaz
Apprentice
Thanks DaneA but I am interested in small 5-port switches like GS105E that I stated above and not 8-port larger versions. This is why I use GS105E. Thanks
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Midas,

I gave this post a kudos. 🙂  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Midaz
Apprentice

Thanks DaneA for giving a kudo 🙂

bradleyv
NETGEAR Expert

Thank you for your post/request; we appreciate the feedback and the opportunity to engage with our customers.

At this time, the feature you are asking for is not (and cannot) be supported on the Web Managed switches. This feature is available on our Smart Managed and Fully Managed switches, but as you are aware, these come in 8-port and above sizes. If in the future, the technology trickles down to be able to support MAC Address control lists in our Web Managed switch product line, we will definitely look into implementing it. At NETGEAR, we are always looking for ways to add customer value to our products and to innovate and push the industry forward.

Midaz
Apprentice

Thanks.

Is it the silicon in the chipset that can not support simple access control or have you run out of flash or ram that prevents you from adding customer value to this product.

As I understand it, access control wouldn't rob any performance from the switch since it only occurs when a new device connects during a fast handshake.