× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors

Basic Guest Network Functionality within a WAX6x0 Environment

Greetings.

This request is fairly straightforward, but could add great value for a small business user without a dedicated IT function.  More specifically, it would be beneficial to add basic guest network functionality with a separate IP address range to the WAX6x0 family of products since this is the primary differentiator between most readily available home office/SMB mesh systems and the WAX6x0.

With the current iteration of the firmware, a user is forced to create a new dedicated VLAN and associated address range at the router to pass to the WAX6x0 to gain such functionality.  This may seem straightforward to many in the community, but the price point of the WAX6x0 series will attract users that simply do not have the IT support or background to implement the upstream changes needed to successfully segregate guest traffic to a separate VLAN.

Thank you.

4 Comments
nxrsnj9ysbgt
Tutor

So it looks like NETGEAR implemented a separate DHCP instance for Guest Network, but in return removed the possibility to have Guest Network assigned to a VLAN.

Both options are needed to support flexible network designs.

schumaku
Guru

@nxrsnj9ysbgt Dear Jo,

Seems like there is a lot of confusion here.

"So it looks like NETGEAR implemented a separate DHCP instance for Guest Network, but in return removed the possibility to have Guest Network assigned to a VLAN." Almost completely wrong. The OP talked of the WAX6xx (the same applies to the WAC5xx, and WAX214/218 by the way) here. These are pure business AP, SSID of whatever form are always VLAN based. needless to say, this requires a router supporting VLANs and more.

Don't be confused when comparing the Essential AP WAX202/204/206 which are intended as standalone APs (and can be configured as a router for whatever reason - this is where this (sorry, in my opinion crappy) L2 Guest network ideas are coming from. Ideas implemented on system specific consumer Orbi WiFi Mesh systems - while the Orbi Pro WiFi 6 Mesh systems are real VLAN designs. 

Regards

-Kurt

nxrsnj9ysbgt
Tutor

Dear Kurt,

I agree there is some confusion.

1. "....(the same applies to the WAC5xx, and WAX214/218 by the way) here. These are pure business AP, SSID of whatever form are always VLAN based.... " ==> in fact, WAX214 does not allow not allow to assign the Guest SSID to a VLAN

2. The following sentence is messed up so your point does not come across. The fact is that WAX214 serves all Guest SSID clients from a separate "Guest Network DHCP Server", forcing all guest IP addresses outside to broadcast domain of the wired LAN and non-guest SSIDs.

Regards,

Jo

schumaku
Guru

Sorry Jo, ignore my comment above ref. the WAX214/218 - these are designed for the "Essential" feature set aparently, too. So no VLAN suppot for the guest network. Had my head in testing some other WLAN AP, my bad.

All WAX6xx and WAC5xx are real VLAN APs intended for mid and larger deployments.

-Kurt