× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors

Do NOT region lock devices

So I recently bought an Netgear WAX206 through the Amazon Canada store, but the wireless controls are region locked to United States with no option for me to change this. I understand the reasoning that you want to make it easier for the customer and potentially not break any laws by broadcasting out of range wireless signals, but this is poor design.

I don't know what steps can be done now to unlock the region setting so I can select Canada. It also causes a problem for resale as well. Can you please resolve this issue.

Thanks!

4 Comments
plemans
Guru

I'd have to agree that it shouldn't be region locked. But I'm not sure if its something thats netgear driven or FCC driven. 

gisuck
Apprentice

I've emailed support to see what options there are for me to unlock the region. I've been told I might have to wait for a new firmware for resolution which I'm fine on waiting on if true.

aceralon
Follower

Definitely netgear driven, i've got a R7000 which can change to any region in the setting as I wish.

schumaku
Guru

@aceralon Most likely you have a worldwide or European (don't know about APAC) version, it was cracked, or it's an earlier manufactured unit.