× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors
0 Kudos

Feature Request: Reload in X minutes

Hi all, I'd like to suggest feature be added to the managed switches. Ideally all the managed switches if possibile. 

My suggestion is to allow the reload command to be able to specify the number of minutes or seconds until the reload executes.

This would allow for changes to be made to remote switches that might cause an issue / loss of remote access to be able to be rolled back automatically to restore remote access should something happen. A great safety net when working with managed switches or any networking gear really. 

It could be added an option to the reload command that takes a parameters of minutes. eg:

This would reload the switch in 20 minutes: 

reload in 20m

this would reload the switch in 300 seconds (5 minutes): 

reload in 300

and reload by itself would still work just as it always has and reload the switch instanatly after confirmation: 

reload

Each command could prompt the user for confirmation then sit in the background until its time to run. You could also offer some kind of console message periodically or when near to reloading to remind console users that the switch is going to reload (harder to do with web interface I know but I don't think thats a big deal)

You would also need a way to cancel the reload either with another option on the reload command or with another command altogether. some idea examples are:

reload stop
stop reload
no reload
cancel reload

I was couious if this could be done using the scripting capabilities of the M4300 and similar managed switches but I havn't tried that. I also have a feeling when the script is running it prevents other changes being made (but I don't know this for a fact). 

Not sure exactly where I should put this feature request but thought I would start here and see how I go.