× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors

Fix broken readynas Backblaze b2 s3 backup

fallsfal

It appears no longer possible to configure ReadyNas to use Backblaze Amazon s3 backup per https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/1260804505130-How-to-use-Netgear-ReadyNAS-with-Backblaz..., I suspect that direct use of Amazon S3 fails as well but haven't tested that. I received this response from Backblaze support:

The requirement for V4 signatures is indeed a part of the S3 compatible API. The older versions have been deprecated and as a result, we have stopped supporting them. Unfortunately, I am not able to troubleshoot their device and it's utilities. I would recommend reaching out to their support to see if there is a way to update or alter the signature they are using. Apologies for not being able to be more help there.

7 Comments
sapmec
Aspirant

FYI...I too am experiencing this issue and was directed to this section from the community support page. 

sapmec
Aspirant

FYI...latest ReadyNAS OS 6.10.7 still does not resolve the issue 😞 on my ReadyNAS 2304

bvbbvb
Guide

Looks like we're being abandoned. I got this response from Netgear Support:

As per our Engineers, there is no plan of updating the signature since the [ReadyNAS] device is already an end of life unit. I will close this case now.

They did not respond to my followup as to which ReadyNAS online backup options are still functional.

sapmec
Aspirant

@bvbbvb well that's a big bummer, did they happen to mention if this issue will not be fixed for ALL ReadyNAS OS devices? Mine is an RR2304 which I do not believe is end of life (yet)...maybe it is though? Seems a little odd that they would not fix this for current ReadyNAS devices and this Cloud S3 back-up does not seem like it would be specific to hardware vs. OS software.

bvbbvb
Guide

There's some evidence (e.g. https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/netgear/pdfs/EOL.pdf)  that the entire ReadyNAS line is End of Life. Perhaps the rise of cloud computing has destroyed the commercial viability of in-house NAS solutions.

sapmec
Aspirant

@bvbbvb thanks for the EOL heads up info...this kind of sucks...the S3 via Backblaze was an extremely cost effective cloud backup solution. My brother uses the Netgear white-labeled cloud backup service/app and that appears to still be working so will be looking into that.

sapmec
Aspirant

FYI...for what's it's worth I switched to using ChronoSync app locally on server that does a sync with target Backblaze service.