× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors

Framed IP's BYOD Solution

We have just had smoothwall implemented and are trying to get BYOD working. Smoothwall have looked into this and stated that our wireless is not providing Framed IP's which is essential to the smoothwall BYOD system working please see notes below:

Framed-IP-Address — This contains the IP address of the client that has been authorized to join the wireless network. This attribute is essential to the BYOD service.

Could this feature be added in a firmware update? we have 2 wc7600 controllers and over 80 access points so pretty stuck at the moment

6 Comments
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi nueon,

Thanks for posting here in the Idea Exchange for Business board.  The development team will be reviewing your post to see what needs to be improved on the functionality of the WC7600 wireless controller.  

Gave kudos to this post.  Let me inform you that the more kudos given by community members to this post will help as the development team will be reviewing the post that has the most kudos and might be considered.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

broadld87
Fledgling

@nueon

@DaneA

We have the WC7600V2 and this also has the issue of the RADIUS framed-ip-address attribute not being passed via Radius accounting.

There is also a limitation in that there is no where you can specify a RADIUS authentication server then speicify a different RADIUS accounting server.

This means the user authenticates to the server specified and the accounting is also sent to this server.

Our 10 year old Cisco wireless controller that we have just replaced with Netgear had this feature. The Netgear access points we have WAC720 are capabale of specifiying different RADIUS servers for authentication and accounting.

A massive oversight for Netgear. We are an education customer and this is a very basic feature that is required especially for BYOD!

Thanks

David

Garwooden
Fledgling

This is a basic feature of RADIUS and should be included!

ChristineT
Admin
Status changed to: New Idea

nueon
Follower

hi i have just noticed fireware 6.5.5.0 has been released and it states:

1. Framed IP Attribute in RADIUS accounting packets for WAC7XX APs.

is this the framed packets we have been waiting for? and is this going to incude 360 access points or just the 700 series?

DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @nueon,

I apologize for the late response.  I got a feedback from the higher tier of NETGEAR Support and confirmed that this is the feature you have been waiting for and its just exclusive to the WAC7xx APs. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team